Isn't 'growing your own' wonderful

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't 'growing your own' wonderful

I've had a rubbish last month at work. My job is very demanding and I am under a lot of pressure to 'keep up the numbers'

Over the last month this has become quite ridiculous and I have been bursting into tears and have been very tearful most days at work. I'm beginning to get this under control and will not let work have this affect on me, it's not good.

Anyway, to the point of my post, I've spent ALL DAY, out in the garden today. Potting loads of stuff on, sitting back enjoying it and generally just pottering around pulling up weeds.

I've not gardened before this year, what a revelation! It's so wonderful to just be out there, amongst nature, thinking of nothing else apart from the plants that you are nurturing. Absolutely fantastic therapy.

My hubby suffers from depression and a few years ago it got really really bad. At the time we had 3 horses and they were his therapy. He wasn't working and, once convinced, spent all of his time outside looking after the horses. They were so pampered during that time lol.

Anyway, sorry for the waffling but I guess that what I'm saying is that 'growing our own' is a whacking great pill that me and hubby consume each day and it keeps us both sane.

It's just amazing and we cannot wait to actually eat what we have grown.

And to think that it's all come from seeds, from a couple who don't know what they are doing, that makes it all even better.

Life really really IS good, if you look beyond the 9-5 grind.

Sometimes growing stuff is the only thing that stops me falling apart so I fully understand what you're saying. For me I think it's a combination of being outdoors in the fresh air and the simple tasks that gardening necessitates which gives my brain time to heal.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It's funny Alison, when we had the horses I had no issues and I used them as an outlet for all the pressures of work.

We haven't had horses for a couple of years now and I've always felt that I needed another outdoor activity to keep me busy, I was becoming a sofa slob!

Growing our own has really really turned our lives around

Comment

I'm so pleased that you've found what gardening is REALLY all about Sara - giving our lives perspective and connecting with the real world, instead of the fake, invented world that most of us have to live in to earn a crust.
        Being outside, at one with nature, watching things grow is what keeps me sane(ish)
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Absolutely Skeggijon, actually it's made me think more widely. What do I want from life?

I'm really beginning to come around to quitting it all and doing something completely different e.g. Working in a shop. Nowt wrong with that, in fact it's a pretty fundamental part of local society.

I would need to move but heck, why not?

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Being outside pottering around in the garden growing your own real does help with the stresses and complete cr@p that day to day life chucks at you. I've been pottering in the garden this evening after work and have completely forgotten what a boring day it was.
            I've also been in the same situation of tears every day at work. I quit! this was before growing, but I don't think it would of helped enough in my situation. Life is to short to put your self through hell 5 days a week.

Comment

I decided to quit chasing the big bucks a few years ago now and took a job that allows more time to do what I really want - working 4 nights, then 4 nights off, but even that is getting too intrusive now and am in 'negotiations' with the other half to take early retirement. I have a pension that matures soon and OH's business is building nicely - and it's something she loves.
              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I totally agree Sara - it keeps me sane too. And now I get through work by daydreaming about being able to grow veg for a living

Comment

And yep, with ought quoting bits from all the above posts, we took exactly that decision, packed our bags and came out here to live...yep REALLY start living again and trying to be as self sufficient as possible.

Sara...I too am thrilled you have stumbled across one of the best hobbies/interests/ way of life at long last!

You're going to be in for a fantastic shock when you taste what fruit and veg are supposed to taste like!
                  Last edited by Nicos; 29-05-2016, 12:42 AM.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have been been on and off work this last year, and particularly he last month with a combination of stress/ depression. Even if I don't feel like it I go outside or trudge up the the allotment and always feel better. Managed two days at work last week, after being signed off for a fortnight. Went to a meeting at the end of the day, thinking it was going to be how are you, how can I help meeting. But no, it was you're struggling at work so we'll just add some more stress and see how that helps.
                    Needless I couldn't work Wednesday and have resorted to medication. Anyway long ramble to get to the point that I shan't be sticking around much longer. I am investigating RHS courses locally so that should open up new horizons.
                    The room I work in has no natural daylight and I can't see the sky unless I'm right next to the window and I'm sure it doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                      I am investigating RHS courses locally so that should open up new horizons.
                      The room I work in has no natural daylight and I can't see the sky unless I'm right next to the window and I'm sure it doesn't help.
                      Can you ask for a different room? Not quite the same but my OH was getting very fed up with work and couldn't concentrate, he works from home and can come and go as he please (also rides his bike every lunchtime for some fresh air, come rain or shine) but his desk was facing the corner...it's a dark room and I suggested we have a move around, we moved his desk to the windows - he can see the blue tits flying into the nest boxes, has a bit of sun and some light. He's suddenly much more productive.

What courses are you looking at?

Comment

OH has similar working conditions, and unfortunately it's a small company so there is only one room. It's one of the reasons he's quit. My very stressful job is ending and I have the summer off beckoning - thankfully I saved every penny I could so I can do this.

I'd love to be able to lie somewhere with a garden and enough space to grow my own. I don't think I'd want to do it for a living, (unless I started a saffron farm) but just for us and an honesty box would be good enough for me.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I got my allotment after a seven years of visiting my father in a nursing home every other night, (my sister and I alternated and covered for each other) then loosing my Mum and then nearly loosing my wife as she was poisoning herself with her own exhaust fumes as her lungs were not working properly and she was not getting enough oxygen. She now is my little rechargeable battery and goes on a machine at night to build up the oxygen levels in her blood, its like sleeping with Darth Vader.

Combined with work my stress levels were off the chart. I was made redundant and decided to set up my own company and work for myself from home, so I can keep an eye on the wife, but I need an escape, and somewhere to de stress and allotment therapy does it for me.
                          Last edited by Cadalot; 29-05-2016, 06:10 AM.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

All lovely stories, I must say, stepping out of the rat race was the best thing I ever did.
                            I took a spur of the moment decision, cleared my desk, sent the email and never went back.
                            Then we had a recession....
                            What this decision did for me was to give me freedom.
                            I reconnected with our house and garden, I had the time.
                            I also helped look after my father when he got MND, commuting every other week from London to Devon. If I was still working I would have had to make a decision.
                            Now we grow our own veg and it is sooo therapeutic,
                            Once hubby retired I had someone to help in the garden as well
                            Life's too short, if you can afford it, retire early and grow veg and flowers.
                            Last edited by Nannysally99; 29-05-2016, 07:07 AM.
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

Aww WendyC that's not good, I'd definitely be seeking alternative employment if I were you.

Thanks to everyone for responding, it's been really interesting and thought provoking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X