Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I recycle the woodburner ash in the garden?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I recycle the woodburner ash in the garden?

Hi all,

As per thread title, is there anything I can do with my woodburner ash in the garden?

Thanks!

I use it for the chicken's dust bath and around fruit bushes.
    More here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ash_75427.html

Comment

That's great news, no more wasting our wastage and hopefully better fruit as a result!

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Sara,

Rose bushes and raspberries like it too

Comment

Mine goes on the fruit bushes and all shrubs and trees and then each bed in the veg plot gets a thin layer (as do I if the wind is in the wrong direction ) Any spare goes into the compost. In fact I think everywhere gets a bit
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

It can change the soil PH so check first, it's good in the planting hole for potatoes as is disuades slugs a bit. Great as part of the general compost. Because of the open structure any charcol bits are good for retaining moisture and microbes within the soil once they are innoculated in the compost pile.

Comment

Great for onions and garlic
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Hi - sorry to hijack the original question - my OHs dad offered me the ash from his fire, but its a combination of charcoal and wood ash - would this be any use for me or would the charcoal cause problems?

Thanks

Comment

When you say charcoal, do you mean lumps of burnt wood, or charcoal briquette things or even coal ash?

Comment

Charcoal sounds like an expensive way to heat a room.

Comment

It can go in your compost heap, too. Wood ash is one of the things added to keyhole gardens to provide trace elements.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        When you say charcoal, do you mean lumps of burnt wood, or charcoal briquette things or even coal ash?
                        Good question... I am not particularly au fait with fires. A lighter is as good as I get

He puts on logs and lumps of coal... so I assume coal ash and wood ash - I suppose I could sift out any big bits - but he implied it was ash.

I don't have a compost heap (yet) to put it on
                        Last edited by vixylix; 22-03-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't put coal ash on the garden - only wood ash.
                          Here's one we prepared earlier http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oil_84506.html

Comment

Thanks muchly VC

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                              Hi all,

As per thread title, is there anything I can do with my woodburner ash in the garden?

Thanks!
                              I agree with all post, onions, leeks, garlic, fruit trees, compost heaps etc., everything will love a little potash pick-me-up
                              Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X