Anyone use a bread maker, also looking for recipies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a bread maker, also looking for recipies

Is using a bread maker cheaper than buyin bread each week?
    Are they hard to use?
    Ive got one buy no instructions.

Thanks guys
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

I have one and use it at least once a week - don't eat that much bread, there's only me and my Aged P to eat it. I like to hand make bread too, but often don't want to put the oven on just to bake one loaf of bread. As I type, I'm trying out a new recipe in it - a brioche loaf using a recipe from a breadmaker recipe book I bought just last week in a charity shop. It's got another hour and a bit to go yet so can't tell you what it's like

They are very simple to use. Bung in the ingredients, switch on, and that's it till the bread's done, usually between 4 and 6 hours, depending on the recipe. It's best to be on hand to take the bread out as soon as it's done if you want a nice crispy crust, 'cos if it cools inside the BM the crust softens in the warm moist air inside.

What make is yours, evans? I find with most things you can find instructions online.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Every breadmaker is different and some are far better than others. I got my latest from the local Hospice shop. It was the latest model Panasonic at the time and bargain of the year at £10. I downloaded instructions and recipes from the Panasonic website.

A basic loaf probably costs about 50odd pence plus electricity and it takes about 3 minutes to bung everything in and set it off.

More interesting loaves cost more of course.

Comment

Bread maker best toy in the world! You need one of these

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panas.../dp/B004RTJWMW

Very simple to use. Comes with very clear instructions and a book of recipes, and you can make 3 different sizes
        It is cheaper for us, but our local shops aren't cheap ( or that local ). But even if it's not cheaper it's 10 times nicer!

We did a huge amount of research before buying ours. Make a loaf every other day. Love it,

Comment

It depends what bread you buy as to whether it work out cheaper. If you buy a cheap loaf loaded with soya and other junk, then the BM will be more expensive. It depends what flour you buy too, cheapest, most expensive, or middle range. Not counting the electricity as I have no idea how much it uses per loaf, I would say it costs me about 65p for a 1lb loaf. I buy flour at £1.50 for 3lbs, but you can buy flour cheaper than that with supermarket own brands, or value brands.

And flour keeps well, so when it's on offer at £1 a bag I buy lots
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Dunno what type it is, will have to get it out have have a propper look at it. The bf loves home made bread and the smell.
            If you want to view paradise
            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I use one every week, ive never actually bought one but I've had 3 over the years. Always had the hand me downs that peeps didn't want. I have a morphy Richards one at the moment. (I find it difficult to cut for sandwiches for lunch boxes though )
              I also use mine for making pizza dough, dough for bread rolls and focaccia too. I've never worked out the cost I like to use organic flours or spelt/rye. i much prefer it to shop stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I use one every week, ive never actually bought one but I've had 3 over the years. Always had the hand me downs that peeps didn't want. I have a morphy Richards one at the moment. (I find it difficult to cut for sandwiches for lunch boxes though )
                I bought one of these, on the recommendation of someone on the vine I think, specifically to slice my bread. It does any thickness from see-through to doorstep. I've had it several years and it still cuts great.
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I have one, but I get wrong if i use it because its a noisy so and so!

I only use it now when the bread mixes I buy are reduced in price. Handy to have if you're trying to sell your house as the aroma permeates the building!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have a Panasonic one too. Used to use it all the time but have got lazy.
                    It was nice coming down to breakfast to the smell of freshly baked bread - but I ate lots more bread as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      ...I also use mine for making pizza dough, dough for bread rolls and focaccia too. I've never worked out the cost I like to use organic flours or spelt/rye. i much prefer it to shop stuff.
                      Yes, homemade focaccia is to die for! Then there's fruit loaf, tea bread, chelsea buns, ciabatta, French bread, wholemeal, seedy bread, flavoured rolls...the world is your oyster (or breadmaker ) I have to restrict myself, I could eat bread at every meal, but heavens, I'd be the size of a house!
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I have a Panasonic one too.
                        I had a Panasonic one, it was really good until it walked off the counter

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                          Yes, homemade focaccia is to die for! Then there's fruit loaf, tea bread, chelsea buns, ciabatta, French bread, wholemeal, seedy bread, flavoured rollsD
                          Haha, yes forgot the Chelsea buns and ciabatta. If peeps come for dinner I always make some kind of special bread and finish in the oven - they are always impressed and it takes seconds to bung it all in.

Comment

We have a Panasonic, used it several times a week for about 9 years ago and rarely bought bread since. Do the fancy doughs sometimes and also for pizza bases but mainly do a 50% white / 50% granary loaf which is great for butties and will cook overnight ready for making sandwiches to take to work. The quality of the bread varies a lot between different makes, my friend had one which made bricks but ours is pretty much infallible.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X