Wasted Land

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted Land

Just after ideas and peoples experiences, any people or organisations that might be worth contacting. I know there is no legal bearing, so no MODs panic

Basically there is a paddock/field/ piece of land that has not been touched for over two and a half years. It is very, very, very overgrown with grasses, cow parsley and nettles and is now getting some lovely hawthorn and sloe trees growing and is basically a home to rats and mice and all the local cats I have tried to contact the owner but letters have been returned and the phone number has now been re-allocated to someone else. The last time I saw someone was getting on for two years. It just seems such a waste and has got to the point where it is bugging me

Just after peeps opinions and what they would do?

Thank you as always

If it is in a residential area then I would contact the local council. We have a piece of land right next to our garden which a developer bought (it originally was a larger plot with a bungalow on which is currently in the process of being sold and they split it into two smaller plots) hoping they could build another bungalow on the second plot - their application for planning permission on the second plot was refused for several different reasons.

Anyway, we were reliably informed that the developer has a duty to keep this other plot tidy because it is in a residential area. If it's not kept tidy then we have a right to get on to the local council about it which we shall do as I don't want a tip right next to our garden. Whether that is something that varies from council to council, I don't know.
    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

You could check the Land Registry to clarify ownership.

The Council would be the first port of call, if you want the site tidied.

Does it have road access? The owner probably has the hope of building on it at some point if the access position is viable. So I doubt they'd want to sell it. If it is a back plot however, they might consider selling it.

Remember, whilst it might be a 'pension' plot (to cash in at a later date) there might also be a legitimate reason why it has been left to go pot i.e. illness
      Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
      Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
        You could check the Land Registry to clarify ownership.

The Council would be the first port of call, if you want the site tidied.

Does it have road access? The owner probably has the hope of building on it at some point if the access position is viable. So I doubt they'd want to sell it. If it is a back plot however, they might consider selling it.

Remember, whilst it might be a 'pension' plot (to cash in at a later date) there might also be a legitimate reason why it has been left to go pot i.e. illness
        It can be accessed via the road, but I am quite sure there is a covenant on the land which means it can only be used for rearing animals or as meadow land. There is also a footpath that should run through it but at the moment it runs along side it. When I last saw the owner they had no intention of doing anything with it and they live 30-40mins drive away and have a young family.

Comment

Why does it bug you NG? Is it because you think it should be used for grazing/growing? Does it actually affect your property? Do you want to use it?
          Just wondered

Similarly, there's a field behind my house that used to be grazed by cattle but was bought by a local with a view to building at some later date. Its very overgrown now with brambles, thistles etc and there's no chance of my buying it as he wants building land money for it. However, I did rent it for a year when I needed access to the back of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Why does it bug you NG? Is it because you think it should be used for grazing/growing? Does it actually affect your property? Do you want to use it?
            Just wondered
            If it was sensible money I would buy it but I don't actually have a purpose for it . I have had a couple of people knock on the door as they wanted it for ponies. I know someone else who wants somewhere to have a lottie. Being a small village an allotment site isn't likely and the nearest ones are 10 miles away. The land joins mine so I have to look at it everyday and I am making a dent in my long list of things that previously bugged me but I have sorted so it is something newish to annoy me I think I just like things to have a purpose (other than being rat homes)

Comment

If the footpath is a public right of way (the council will hold a 'definitive map') then the landowner has legal obligations.

The path must be easily visible, they must make sure it does not endanger people, they must not allowed it to become obstructed and that includes vegetation and they must maintain a minimum width.

This may provide a starting point to getting something done with the rest of the land. I do believe the highways authority look after this side of things.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X