Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do indoors when its dark - Garden related!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to spend these cold dark evenings making seed tape but am up to date so will have to think of some more that I don't need...........Oh, and trying to mother a Tomato plant over winter for armpits.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

During the winter months, I get up to the plot for sometime each weekend - it doesn't matter if it's snowing, p1ssing it down, or any other kind of horrendous weather.

It keeps me sane, even if I don't actually do anything - I just need to be outside (I'm stuck in an office during the week).

I'll come home freezing, soaking and covered in mud - then there is nothing better than spending a couple of hours in a hot bath, with a drink and my tablet - either on this site, or a football one I frequent.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
        I'll come home freezing, soaking and covered in mud
        I don't need to do any gardening to end up like that Kev, I just go fishing.................
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 26-10-2015, 08:18 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post

I'll come home freezing, soaking and covered in mud - then there is nothing better than spending a couple of hours in a hot bath, with a drink and my tablet - either on this site, or a football one I frequent.
          I normally need a couple of tablets when I get back from the lotty too!
          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
            I'll be putting on my head - light and using my floodlights to keep working the plot
            My hero.

Actually, I think the light in my shed left by the former tenant is a headlight, and I know I've got a couple of camping lanterns knocking about. No excuse not to go really, and I'll probably have the whole site to myself. I just took on the plot, so lots of work to do before spring.
            Last edited by dilettante; 26-10-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I will probably be down the plot digging or pottering about. Don't want to be stuck in all the time even though I'll have plenty of other jobs to be done I think I'll crack if I'm stuck in all the time.
              My seeds need another sorting and listing
              Oh and re drawing up my plan for the allotment, can't forget that one.
              Will be starting chilli plants December time so that will help keep me a little bit sane.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, and while I was sorting the office out I came across some old floppy disk storage boxes (the ones you can lock). I have another use for them sorting and storing seed packets.
                "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                Oxfordshire

Comment

I can spend hours (days!) playing with my plot layout and trying to ind space for everything I want to grow. And going through and listing my seed collection. I'll have seed parcels coming in for a seed circle that will need checking and sorting. Then there are looking at seed sites for things I want but don't need, reading books, babying tomatoes and chillies, oca to harvest.

Plus I've saved some construction work on the plot for winter, which will keep me warm AND busy.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I make some relishes, do some tidying and planning..And walk out and admire my garlic and onions as they show their faces
                    Last edited by Tripmeup; 26-10-2015, 08:58 PM.
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

I will read a few of the zillion gardening books I seem to have acquired this year. Order even more seeds. Read through the tomatoes thread and pick which toms I want to try and grow, and plan my 4 bed rotation (in the hope that my 4th bed will be ready by march. Otherwise no potatoes this year. ) plan my fruit cage, build my permanent compost site. That should keep me going for a few months
                      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        I tend to spend these cold dark evenings making seed tape but am up to date so will have to think of some more that I don't need............
                        BM - I get how to do this when you are ready to sow seeds, but how do you do this in advance?

Do they not go funny by the time they're ready to be planted? Or all stick together? Have I entirely missed the point somewhere??

Comment

I think after New Year when things have quietened down a bit for me, I'm going to spend time pulling up Youtube videos on how to do gardening things- like pruning,cuttings, splitting etc.
                          there are so many to watch- something must surely go in!!!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Vixy, previously, I have let them thoroughly dry out before folding & storing them in zip lok bags. I have had no problems keeping them this way. This year however, because I am making seed sheets, I'm trying something different & keeping them in a folder:

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 27-10-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I think after New Year when things have quietened down a bit for me, I'm going to spend time pulling up Youtube videos on how to do gardening things- like pruning,cuttings, splitting etc.
                              there are so many to watch- something must surely go in!!!
                              Great idea Nic, I could do with learning a thing or three................

Comment

Thanks BM - super organised!! I am impressed, and I am going to give it a go myself when I have some spare time!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X