What the dickens is this?!?!?!?!?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the dickens is this?!?!?!?!?!

Found this grub whilst moving pine-needles. We have a HUGE pile of pine-needles that have been sitting and rotting down for a couple of years - wonderful needle-mold at the bottom. Can anyone identify it before I give it to the chickens please? It is about 8cms long! And very fat, 6 legs.
    Attached Files
    Just think happy thoughts

Could be a stag beetle larvae, put it somewhere where there is a similar habitat to continue growing. They are similar but larger than a cockchaffer grub which should be fed to the chickens. Stag beetles are becoming increasingly rare.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Fairly sure it is a cock chafer grub. I don't know about whether or not you can give it to the chickens but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Ah, perhaps not then, I didn't look at the size first. Let's hope it is a stag beetle, they are wonderful creatures.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

If it's less than 5 cm, I'd say it's a cockchafer - stag beetles tend to grow bigger than that.

Comment

It's ENORMOUS!!!!!!!!!! Googled stag beetle grubs images and yes it's one of those. I will put it back in the heap but at the other end, which I won't be disturbing until next year. I don't like to despatch (or dispatch) anything until I am sure if it's a bad guy/gal.

Comment

Did you google cockchafer grub too? They are remarkably similar except a bit smaller - the size of the one in your picture in fact, when fully grown.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

It has now been put back in the pine needle heap to finish it's transformation.

Comment

Wow, you are so lucky! I think I would hold onto it and keep it until it's changed, I would love to see a stag beetle. Having said that, I did find an enormous pupae in the garden before, but I just left it. If only I'd have thought. Ah well.

Comment

I would rather it transformed in it's natural environment. It is now "snug as a bug in a pine needle heap". A few months ago I found about 20-30 of similar looking bugs, but a bit smaller and I gave them to the chickens. About 3 days later we were inundated with eggs!!!!!!!!!! Must have been the extra protein.

Comment

Well worth the sacrifice in this case then
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X