Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG!!!!

CHRIIIIIIISSSTMMAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!!

Yup, we love Christmad here. Would love to blame 4yo, but we've always been that way.

One of the excitements about the plot has been growing things for Christmad dinner - this year just swede, parsnips and leeks. Next year I'm tackling sprouts!

We have a truly enormous tree, chosen en famille from our local forestry commission place. The 4yo has his own smaller one he gets to decorate any way he likes. Mostly by stealing decorations from the big tree...

We make sure the fire is lit, and sometimes toast crumpets. We often roast chestnuts.

The Christmad feast is vast, even if there's just the three of us. We eat the leftovers for months. (Frozen turkey for curries, frozen pork for stir fries, frozen veg for bubble and squeak.... mmmmm)

We have heirlooms that come out every year. And we tell the same stories, with embellishments, each year, too. There must always be Crabtree and Evelyn's 'Noel' scented candles. Last time I counted, the Christmad decorations and doo-dads had reached six large boxes.

We sing. Lots. We snuggle and watch movies. I strew the house with holly, ivy, and pine branches.

We check the smoke alarms. ;-)

On Christmad Eve we watch National Lampoon's Christmad Vacation. Every year. We read "On The Night Before Christmad" on Christmad Eve, too

We all have stockings. They all have a clementine in them. My late Mum made them. We have hand-made textile advent calendars. Mum made them, too.

I will even confess to Christmad china, towels and cushions! But, again, they were hand made or gifts from family.

Husband must have a Turkey-Lurkey Sandwich as supper on Christmad Day. And it must be called a Turkey-Lurkey Sandwich.

All of these things make me happy, in a deep, warm, love-of-my-family-here-we-are-again way. Mostly it's just us three at Christmad. We do the family travelling the week before, and around New Year, including the legendary Husband's family pre-Christmad Christmad dinner, with 12+ adults and a scattering of children.

In my defense, though, I never think that everyone should be the same way, or complain about other scroogeyness, unless they're being critical of us for enjoying ourselves and harming no-one. And by far the best Christmad we've ever had was the one where we were flat broke, the tree was hand cut from the woods where Husband was doing some forestry work, and carried home (a mile plus) by him. The decorations were cut from cardboard boxes and put up with string.
    Last edited by bearded bloke; 07-10-2015, 02:19 PM. Reason: Faaarrrrrrr to early for all those D/d 's

Comment

I love christmas and always have and I make an effort to do as much as possible. However, christmas is in December and as far as I can help - it stays in December. No christmas treats are bought until December. We go and hunt a real christmas tree the first Sunday in December. I cook all the christmas day meat on christmas eve. The one thing I struggle with is gifts for people as stuff in shops seems expensive for what it is and also people tend to seem so miserable when out and about shopping. Yay for internet.

An example of Christmas daftness. MiL was round Sunday....

MiL: How are you for advent calenders?
      Me: Pardon?
      MiL: How are you.... for advent calenders?
      Me: What month are we in?
      MiL: Well they are in the shops
      Me: And? That doesn't mean you have to buy them now!

I have four birthdays to deal with before then

Edit: Oh and I have to have a real tree despite they bring me out in a rash
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Christmas starts for me at lunchtime on December 24th (when I start my Christmas shopping) and I'm back at work on December 26th
        Last edited by skeggijon; 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM.
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I to love Christmas but detest Christmad!! I like to start thinking about Christmas about a week before hand, any earlier and I slip straight into holiday mode.

Christmas Eve we will put up and decorate the tree. Christmas morning we go to my sons for breakfast and pressie opening with my granddaughter. Leave them in peace around noon and return home, just the two of us we do not need anyone else. Relax, chat, snooze, what ever takes our fancy, with a glass of good port in hand.

I used to shoot on Boxing day, now we will spend it together, walk to a country pub have a glass of beer, what ever really.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I love x-mas, because I never celebrated before coming to this country being hindu. plan and packing gifts, (some timess simply gift cards)..buy some thing LO to celebrate festive feel...an then last but not least waiting and recieving gifts and if possible cakes ..

Comment

I'm a butcher, Christmas for us is a bit of an ordeal.
              When it's done though and the family is all together... magic!

Comment

BM you should get a lifetime ban for using language like christmad in October, on the vine
                I usually like it, but this year is going to be very difficult

I've even gone fishing on Christmad day.........
                Me and the other half have been fishing New Year's Eve to see in the new year

Comment

1Bee, could you make it four at your house this year?!
                  sigpic

Comment

Growing up I dreaded Christmas Day. My dad used to get drunk on whisky and start an argument. My Nana (his mother) disliked my mother but always came and stayed with us for a week over the festive season and tried to cause even more arguments.

When I got married and had children, I was determined that my children would always have fantastic Chrismas's. Although I worked full-time I still made/prepared all the food myself and until Brian died I still did although he and I had started swapping the day with close friends. They did one year and we'd do the next. We swapped Sunday lunches as well.

Since Brian died I haven't put up decorations or cooked Christmas dinner. I've tried all sorts over the last 10 years, went to Spain one year, booked into a hotel another year. been invited to other peoples Christmas's but felt as if I was there on sufferance. My friends that we swapped with go away for the holiday nowadays.

This year I'm hoping my kitchen will be finished, the central heating in, the lounge fireplace have a log burner and I'm cooking, having a tree, decorations and the whole kit and caboodle. I've several friends who are also on their own and my son's and their girlfriends will be invited.

I always go round the members of my family that live fairly close on Christmas morning and deliver presents. Last Christmas the last one I visited was my eldest son. His girlfriend is the administrator for a man who owns several pubs and as one of them was short-staffed she was standing in. I had probably the best Christmas day for years. No dinner, but lots of laughter in a pub lock-in.
                    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                    Oxfordshire

Comment

I always put up the trees 1 in living room 1 in dining room on 1st w/e in December.
                      I always used to say I did it for the kids - them when I lived abroad for a few years - I realised that I did it just for me Love it! and have to have candles and greenery as well as lots of twinkly lights.

I go delivering presents on the eve and the more the merrier for dinner on the day and on Boxing day.
                      Enough food to last til February, usually Ha ha.

Comment

LOL! Sorry about all the "s"s.... Didn't mean to put you to work, BB.

Comment

I have never been a big fan of Christmas, but over the years I have kind of been convinced that I should love it. My hubby and kids would be getting the tree and twinkly lights out at the first mention of the C word.
                          I always looked on it as extra worry, work and strain making sure everybody had everything for the big day.
                          Every Christmas dsy I would have my mam and dad and a collection of uncles, aunts and some spinster members of the family who would be otherwise be on their own. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem having them for dinner, it was me, I am such a worrier wondering if I would have enough of everything.
                          St. Stephens day was always my favourate day, we would go for walks and eat when we felt like it, so much more relaxed.
                          Now, 50 years later I wonder what it was all about.
                          If I could do it all over again I wouldn't worry at all and just be greatful to have all my loved ones around my table.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                            I love christmas and always have...
                            MiL: How are you.... for advent calenders?
                            Me: What month are we in?
                            MiL: Well they are in the shops
                            Me: And? That doesn't mean you have to buy them now!

I have four birthdays to deal with before then
                            Yes it does, if you want nice ones. By the end of November the only ones left (and you really have to search the stores for them) will be rubbish ones with cheap chocolates in.

I buy a new advent calendar every year, (yes, for me), and used to leave it till November and be disappointed every time. I hate those awful ones with chocs in. I like just pictures behind the doors. So now I buy in October, and have lots to pick from. So mine's bought already and safely tucked away.

(Whether I will find it on Dec 01 is another question entirely )
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

I'm afraid I am getting to the point of disliking Christmas. Its in far to early in the shops I remember being sat on my till at the supermarket with people moaning about Christmas stuff in the shop and it getting earlier and earlier, but they have shed loads of the stuff in their trollies. Its also mad panic for one day and most people seem to of forgotten what Christmas is about.
                              We put up our tree second weekend in December. I try and keep decorations to the basic but can guarantee that kids will pester OH for a load more. Present wise we try and keep to a strict budget but that can be sunk very easily if we go shopping with the kids.
                              On Christmas Day we spend it at home but go to my Mom and Dads for Boxing Day. I'd rather stop at home but can't escape it. Usually hit there about 12.30, eat for 1pm and hit the exit for 3pm.
                              Just get to the point when I get I'm glad when its all over.
                              sigpic

Comment

I love Christmas with our family - I watch them opening their presents on FaceTime , priceless
                                I cook the turkey, peel all the veg and then transport it all round to our Daughters
                                One day they will go to in laws, what the flippin heck will we do then, I ask myself?
                                Simple - GO TO SCARLETTS - her Christmas sounds fab
                                Nannys make memories

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X