Wine help needed please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine help needed please.

OK I have started thinking about 'that' time of year and need to know what wine somebody who knows would recommend for Daughter and SIL..

Last year we bought them a bottle of Bollinger champagne so I thought (which is not a good condition for me) that SIL thinks he is a bit of an expert so we will buy a good bottle for them.

So what I need is a recommended bottle of white and red for about £20 ish quid a bottle.

I have to ask as my knowledge of wine extends to......some wines you can cook with and some you can pickle with.

Help,,,,,,,

Oh and being able to get it from a supermarket would be an advantage as it would save all the hassle.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

I was the nanny for a family where the father was a wine connoisseur and collector. His advice was that the cost of the wine was irrelevant, it was whether you like it or not. You can buy ( in today's money) a £5 bottle and if it's what you like it's as valuable as a £100 bottle.

Many people like dry wines and others prefer medium, I haven't yet found anyone who likes the really sweet ones other than with their dessert (which is why they're called dessert wines).

Find out whether they prefer dry or medium. I can only suggest what I would buy. If dry I'd go for a good Muscadet or Fleurie (Budgens are generally good with wines but their Fleurie isn't good). If a medium wine a good Reisling. Others I would suggest, Cotes du Rhone, Chenin Blanc.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Personally, I like (red) Chateau neuff duPape and (white) Chablis. Te.co have a good selection and you don't need to break the bank either!
      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

For the red, a Nuits St. Georges might be an idea. A good one is plummy, chocolatey and full bodied. You'd most likely have to go to 0ddbins to get one though. Or I'd echo Janie's suggestion of a Fleurie, which you might find in a well stocked supermarket.
        My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Brilliant - thank you.

I have just written the names down and will start mooching.
          My only other problem is that the SIL really does like labels - particularly if they can be appreciated by his friends.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

just to add my two pennies worth....
            a good Rioja is lovely, or a Chianti, Malbec,Pinotage(especially a South African one)
            I've also recently become a convert to the New Zealand whites - they're loverly

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
              My only other problem is that the SIL really does like labels - particularly if they can be appreciated by his friends.
              I prefer the contents to what it says on the label - used to know somebody who decanted supermarket gin into a posh bottle to make it look better, thought it was incredibly sad.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh Eck I went to 3 supermarkets today and got more and more befuddled - Italy, France, South America etc etc at least I have heard of that one

So thanks to all for the advice but I think plan B might be called for - another bottle of Bollinger it is then at least I know they like that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X