How far does your veg travel?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far does your veg travel?

With all this talk about food miles, was just wondering how far your vegetables and fruit actually travels, or how far you travel to get it.

Most of ours moves about 5 metres from ground to kitchen...if we pass it through the window that is, 6 if it goes through the door!

Could be interesting!
    Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

When I get something to harvest, it travels about 120 feet tops. However, Christmas dinner last year had home grown carrots which moved about 2 feet (they were outside the back door)
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Approx 1000 meters from our plot to the house for most of it, but we do have a walk in greenhouse, planters and hanging baskets, with strawbs, toms, cut n come again salad and herbs about 5' from the kitchen door! Anyone anything closer?
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

About 20 metres if it is in the polytunnel, but I reckon 10 metres if it is the greenhouse (not that I've harvested anything yet from the new greenhouse!).

But we do have a big garden.
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Do herbs on the kitchen windowsill count..........?

And then the Hill is about 2.5 miles away.

Comment

I think 5' is the best yet. I think herbs count..maybe they need a separate thread! I do feel smug tho! Hope that's allowed
            Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vegmonkey View Post
              I do feel smug tho! Hope that's allowed
              Oh yes, VM, very allowed!

Comment

Oh dear, I'm nearly into air miles here.. my fruit and veg has a bus ride before it hits the kitchen say 2 miles?
                On one wonderful day last week, I nearly didn't manage to carry home everything I'd harvested - the first time after two years allotmenting that I'd had this much, so proud!
                Sue

Comment

herbs a couple of feet, veg and fruit 8 meters. or at least it will be now the "lotties" back in a fit state.
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

7.5 miles exactly from field to house.
                    Toms and cukes in greenhouse about 20 ft from house.
                    Rhubarb about 10 ft from house
                    Apples about 25ft from house
                    Herbs - the length of an arm across kitchen worktop to window alcove.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

If we're talking about distance to kitchen through a window, about 2' , as the mini greenhouse with toms in is just below the kitchen window. If I have to carry them in, about 6' ? Other stuff in front & back garden, 12' - 20', lottie 5 mins walk away, but I haven't harvested anything from there yet!

Comment

I have a north facing kitchen window and front door so I'm snookered for growing close to the kitchen!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers, about 20ft. all the rest about 2 miles as i use my mothers garden.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

5 steps for the herbs round trip of 2 miles for the rest on the lotte

Comment

I keep salad snippables and basil on the kitchen windowsill, the herbs are right outside the kitchen door and the veg at the end of the garden - max 100ft away.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X