Peak District???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak District???

Going to visit my Son for a few days who lives in Derby. I've heard the Peak District is quite pictureque? Any reccomendations for good places to visit and possibly stay overnight?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Dovedale, Dovedale and more DOVEDALE!
    Don't forget the heights of Abraham at Matlock.

Comment

There is a beautiful walk along Dovedale starting near Illam (a plague site) across stepping stones across river and along it.. reasonably flat although you can climb local hills. With all the rain it will be muddy and the river may be high but there is a bridge (lots of wildlife) Parking £2. Very busy weekends.
      Ashbourne for antique shops.
      Buxton : old spa town.

We visit all of above as we live locally .

Comment

Try this Snadger: www.visitpeakdistrict.com - lots of ideas and things to do! Have a lovely time - just hope the weather improves for you. Bernie
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Crich tramway museum, Chatsworth House, The heights of Abraham(Matlock)
          Bakewell (for the tarts)
          Last edited by bubblewrap; 28-06-2007, 07:11 PM.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

It's puddings from Bakewell, Mr Kipling does the tarts.
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

My ex wife was from Sheffield and we spent quite a few weekends in the Peak District.
              Chatsworth House is a must, as are Bakewell Puddings - in fact Bakewell Puddings are compulsory.
              The whole place is beautiful - we got married in Sheffield but had our reception in the Peak District (Bamford)
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish
                ....near Illam (a plague site)....
                Eyam, (pronounced Eem) the plague village - very moving, visit the graves outside the village too.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Well, Snadger, where do I start!!

11 miles down the A38 from Derby is Burton upon the Beer. It used to be brewing capital of the universe, and the Bass Museum, now known as the Coors Visitor Centre, is quite an interesting place to visit, and I do believe they still serve an acceptable pint of Bass. I only suggest this as, in the past you have suggested that you have a penchant for the brewers' trade!!

Speaking personally, it is a wonderful part of the UK, and in all honesty you would need more than 'a few days' to appreciate the area!!

If you really, really wanted go to the absolute PITS in the area, Alton Towers, we have local residents tickets, and you would be more than welcome to some of them.

The Derbyshire/Saffordshire border has some wonderful contryside. I really would find it extremely difficult to recommend anywhere to stay in the area. The local hostelries don't have so much as a 'chef', as a 'chief defroster', aka Brake Brothers 'chef'!!

Would be happy to give more detailed info.

valmarg

Comment

If you like steam trains There is the Great Central Railway here in Loughborough (Derby 15 miles)
                    http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Another vote for Dovedale - beautiful.
                      http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks folks!

Three deffo's then!

No1...Coor's Brewery...failing that any brewery will do!

No2...Heights of Abraham to clear the head after the brewery visit

No3...Dovedale...but not after the brewery or else I'll/we'll fall off the stepping stones!

After that, we'll just blag it!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                          Eyam, (pronounced Eem) the plague village - very moving, visit the graves outside the village too.
                          Absolutely super! Have been twice! FAB place! Bernie
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            I thought they would be in the DEAD CENTRE of the village!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We went to Dovedale on school trips (they are limestone, don'cha know) and this was always coupled with a trip to the Blue John Mines - limestone caves and beautiful blue gems. Worth a trip if you are in Dovedale anyway, I'd say.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X