Eclipse of the sun

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse of the sun

Be sure not to miss this next Friday! There isn't another one for a very long time.

March 20, 2015 — Total Solar Eclipse

It should be quite good even if it's cloudy
    The best things in life are not things.

99% totality is nothing like the same as Totality ... well worth seeing a total eclipse once in a lifetime

This quote sums up my own feeling:

"On a scale of 0 to 10 of immersion and intensity, a partial eclipse I would rate about a 4 – it is interesting, it makes you think about the Universe in a three dimensional way, it makes you feel insignificant, you become aware of the inevitability of the Universal clock. An Annular Eclipse I would rate about a 9 – there are added experiences such as the gradual dimming of light, animal reactions, the approaching darkness, and seeing the Ring. It is pretty awesome. On the same scale, I would rate a Total Solar Eclipse as – 100. This is because once you experience the Total Eclipse you realize that it is on a completely different scale altogether, and just cannot be compared. It completely blows you away."

Annular versus Total Solar Eclipse
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've already informed my staff in work not to be frightened nor try to chase the sun eating dragon away.

Comment

Wow!...great...thanks for the heads up!
        Just had a look at the links and we'll be getting a very decent eclipse here.

Gosh...do you remember the one back in the 90s when it was really dark and the birds stopped singing?
        I love things like this!

Thanks Verinda!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Wow!...great...thanks for the heads up!
          Just had a look at the links and we'll be getting a very decent eclipse here.

Gosh...do you remember the one back in the 90s when it was really dark and the birds stopped singing?
          I love things like this!

Thanks Verinda!
          I remember bits of it. It was someone's birthday and we were sat drinking coffee waiting for it to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Were you in Normandy back then?

I was in Normandy that day, specifically to see totality and we had a magnificent spectacle. Stillness of birds as you say, dogs started baying as they do at dusk, in fact we were lucky enough to see all the special effects that happen at totality, except for the rushing of darkness towards us (as you need to be up a hill to see far enough for that )
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've never yet seen a total eclipse. One day!

For next week's partial I will be on holiday in Malta; at a mere 38% it will be even less interesting than the one here at home.

There's a wizzy interactive map here on the NASA site; zoom in and click on a location and it gives you details for that exact spot.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                Were you in Normandy back then?
                Nope...Cheshire.
                Sounds like you had an amazing experience!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I remember the eclipse back on August 11th 1999 because it was my sons 2nd birthday, but here in the west of Ireland the light only dimmed slightly, it should be better this time. I love things like this too

Nicos your experience sounds just magical.
                  The best things in life are not things.

Comment

I remember it, too - we lived in Plymouth so were all set for totality. As the clouds rolled in But the seagulls still screamed overhead which was very unnerving!
                    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X