Things you can dig up on the allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariohi View Post
    Yes, it's a rat in formaldehyde, box still intact, about 1ft long.
    Is that a Rat's Tail radish? Definitely off my "Must-grow" List

Comment

I have not dug up anything so exciting on mine!

Comment

I am clearing an area of forgotten garden at the moment, so not an allotment but I did find this under a heap of leaves, it was rooted to the ground poor thing so I wrenched it out and snapped a photo He looks a bit worried doesn't he.

Attached Files
        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

There's a lot of difference between a hand grenade (Mills bomb type) and a mortar bomb.

The fusing on a grenade is pretty reliable and if it hasn't gone bang then it is very unlikely to.

Mortar bombs are entirely different with a nose carried impact fuse. Just pulling it out the ground can set it off as the fuse will have already impacted with the ground and could just be stuck.

Back in the 70's one of my jobs a RAC gunnery instructor was the destruction of 'blinds' after firing practice. These were taken down range to a safe distance and detonated with plastic explosive.

Standing orders if you found a mortar fin sticking out the ground were to approach on your belly lay a 4oz slab of plastic with a 5 minute fuse alongside it, not on it, light fuse and bugger off. About 12% would result in a very large bang indicating the bomb was live.

The guys were blasé with it because someone else had pulled it out the ground and given it a good jiggle. If anyone was going to be vaporised it would have been him.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Maybe we should all decide to bury some everyday item somewhere in the garden for future generations to kind.
            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
              Maybe we should all decide to bury some everyday item somewhere in the garden for future generations to kind.
              We call them time capsules, arpoet
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mariohi View Post
                Yesterday I found this:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]53903[/ATTACH]

in my old compost/rubbish bin left by previous plot holder. Wondering should I keep digging deeper ...
                Anyone had some other shocking discoveries?
                I normally come on here for the great advice, to maybe try things differently and the light hearted banter after a hard day's work - this post has scarred me for life.

Rats (and mice, etc.) scare the bejesus out of me - to find a preserved skeletol corpse ??, well I'm nearly throwing up typing this post (I can't get the image out of my head).

Was the previous plot holder some sort of psychopath by chance ??

You are wondering if you should dig deeper ??? - I would run a mile and never pick up a spade again.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                  I normally come on here for the great advice, to maybe try things differently and the light hearted banter after a hard day's work - this post has scarred me for life.

Rats (and mice, etc.) scare the bejesus out of me - to find a preserved skeletol corpse ??, well I'm nearly throwing up typing this post (I can't get the image out of my head).

Was the previous plot holder some sort of psychopath by chance ??

You are wondering if you should dig deeper ??? - I would run a mile and never pick up a spade again.
                  Maybe it was the previous plot holders warning to other rats - mess with me and this is whats happens!!!
                  Or maybe the plotholder thought it would be lucky, like victorians putting childrens shoes and oddments in houses

Comment

Hi i am never so lucky i just finished turning all my allotment over.
                    and all i finished up finding was 12 bags of wick grass roots,took me from OCTOBER TILL FEB.
                    so i now know theres no bomb there

Comment

I knew I'd found something http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1093673
                      More interesting finds http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...uff_69929.html

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                        Maybe it was the previous plot holders warning to other rats - mess with me and this is whats happens!!!
                        Or maybe the plotholder thought it would be lucky, like victorians putting childrens shoes and oddments in houses
                        Possibly - but I'm sticking with psychopath.

It oddly reminded me about this book I saw on Am@zon a while ago.

Be careful - the first review might be offensive to some.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Taxider...home+taxidermy
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Some brilliant reviews, Kevin I can't even stuff a pepper

Comment

The most exciting thing I've dug up is a 20ft bar of metal. It actually broke my fork in doing so. Why didn't i just leave it there?

It was one of those north going south going zax moments [dr seuss]. I was too stubborn to give in, my fork did though and broke and i resorted to my hands to get it.

Marginal win for me, but now realise why it was buried as what on earth do i want this bar for? Sits in the corner now like a trophy that i only understand...

Comment

The things I could do with a 20 foot rod......

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I have some - think it was railway track

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X