The reluctant runner!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Looking forward to my offroad venture at the weekend and I may even try for 10K!
    I sneaked just shy of 10k in today, Snadge, but it was so lovely that I might join you again tomorrow - depending what my legs tell me in the morning.

Comment

Measured 10K it was..........just! Couldn't have done it without veggie shouting me on from the couch and spitting crumbs from her dougnut at the 8K mark. That and the thought of Bradford beating Chelsea yesterday were inspiration.
      At 6K I got a new lease of life and picked up the pace. By 8K I'd shot my bolt and was knackered! Managed to plod on to the 9K mark then i got cramp in my left leg so finished the 10K with a hop skip and a jump.
      40 minutes to 5K and 45 minutes for the next 5K.

The other presumed 5k's i have been running must have been longer than I thought.
      Last edited by Snadger; 25-01-2015, 04:07 PM. Reason: Cramp not crap!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Of course I'm up for a virtual gym session, Hazel. What we doing, weights, bike, treadmill?
        I'll find my daps
        I scorn daps, trainers, pimsolls, hiking boots. I shall be doing my virtual running barefoot, so no blacktop routes please, Snadge. Just take us down the footpaths, or along the beach (not the rocky bits - yes, I've seen North Shields), and across the fields.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Measured 10K it was..........just!
          At 6K I got a new lease of life and picked up the pace. By 8K I'd shot my bolt and was knackered! 40 minutes to 5K and 45 minutes for the next 5K.
          Well done, sir.

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          I scorn daps, trainers, pimsolls, hiking boots. I shall be doing my virtual running barefoot, so no blacktop routes please, Snadge. Just take us down the footpaths, or along the beach (not the rocky bits - yes, I've seen North Shields), and across the fields.
          Barefoot running - I like it! Plenty in the running community who go 'au natural' in the foot department - my own brother has been known to run up and down the roads by his house in this way. Well, he did, but then his OH found out!

Comment

Quite fancy a pair of these!

Vibram Mens FiveFingers Speed Bikila Barefoot Black Road Running Trainers Shoes | eBay
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My brother's got a pair of those - you have to have socks with 5 fingers to go with your 5 finger trainers!

Comment

Scheduled to run Wed 28th but didn't fancy braving a blizzard. I was away on business to Leeds on Thursday and didn't get back til late so tonight was the first chance I've had.

Ran to Airport and back 5/6K before it got dark. 42 minutes so not a record breaker.
                Looking forward to Sunday for my off road run. No more muscle pains now but my knees don't like the pounding they take on tarmac.
                Must try and find myself a comparatively near 10k race for March-ish!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

And I've lost 4 lb!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

And I've lost 4 lb!
                    I'm looking after it for you, Snadger

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I'm looking after it for you, Snadger
                      That's alright Veggie, you can hang on to it for now!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Must try and find myself a comparatively near 10k race for March-ish!
                        I'm in the Fradley 10k on the 15th March, Snadge, but that'll be a bit far for you to come to - go on, find one on that date near you and the grapes can cheer us both on!

Try runners world or the running bug.
                        Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 31-01-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

This is one I fancy Hazel:-

No Ego Trail Challenge

Not too bad at £22.00 either! I might see if I can get any of my sons or family members interested in doing it with me. Its my type of terrain as I'm not particularly into this Boot camp/obstacle carp!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

10K cross country today. Shaved 12 minutes off my time by doing two sprints in the middle of it and upping the pace slightly. 73 minutes as opposed to 85 minutes last time.
                            Took my windows phone with me with a running app engaged. Total waste of time as it disengaged after 15 seconds.
                            I had it in my pocket and wonder whether I need to get one of those snazzy armbands that hold a phone as it just got jostled around too much in my shorts pocket?

Any good easy to use windows apps out there?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

10K cross country today. Shaved 12 minutes off my time by doing two sprints in the middle of it and upping the pace slightly. 73 minutes as opposed to 85 minutes last time.
                              Took my windows phone with me with a running app engaged. Total waste of time as it disengaged after 15 seconds.
                              I had it in my pocket and wonder whether I need to get one of those snazzy armbands that hold a phone as it just got jostled around too much in my shorts pocket?

Any good easy to use windows apps out there?
                              Well done!

I used an armband for my phone (about £7 from sportsdirect) until the velcro wore off; then I had a 'wrist pocket' given to me at Christmas (which holds the phone & also has a zippy pocket for cash/keys). I find it a bit irritating to wear, but if I'm wearing capris, I don't have a pocket big enough for the phone.

I use the ****+ app (android phone) which is free to download - it maps your run and shouts out at each km to tell you the km time and your average time (embarrassing if you happen to be passing people at the time - sounds like Stephen Hawking - and the av time is shouted louder the slower you are, it seems to me!).

It's a bit hit and miss on the measured distance, but it rarely 'drops out' completely even if I'm wearing shorts and have the phone in the pocket, jiggling about.

Because the ****+ app can be a bit hit and miss on the distances, I still have it turned on (to give me at least an idea of how far I'm running) but wear a normal stopwatch too, so I know what my time is. Then when I get home I measure the route I've run on walkjogrun.net for accurate distance. Sounds like a faff, but it takes no time, and I can see how my pace is holding up (or not!).

No Ego Trail Challenge sounds a bit wild to me - I'd get lost round the course, I'm sure! Good idea to drag one of your lads round too - see if you can give the nipper a run for his money.

Comment

42 minutes for roughly 3.3 miles tonight. Off road around fields. Realized that if you run through sticky mole hills you finish up running on platform soles.Probably need to spend half an hour cleaning my sodden shoes now!
                                I need to have a look in the charity shops for a gaudy Caribbean shirt. This will go with my Bermuda shorts when I do my 10K forest run.
                                That way,if I look like a plonker, people won't expect too much from my running prowess, but may get a bit of a shock when I pass them.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X