Heat powered stove top fan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Just a quick update. I'm still awaiting the fan but wondered if you thought this may work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52428[/ATTACH].............[ATTACH=CONFIG]52429[/ATTACH]
    It might be better if the shelf for the fan was at the side. It is recommended that the best position for the fan is at the rear of the stove, but try it and see.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      2 Comments.

Do these things need a rising hot air current to make them spin and if so will not the base disturb that air
      current.
      It is not the rising hot air that makes them spin but the thermoelectric module which generates the power for the fan.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        It might be better if the shelf for the fan was at the side. It is recommended that the best position for the fan is at the rear of the stove, but try it and see.
        Thanks for that R but I wouldn't have the height or width clearance that's why the tray stands proud below the fireplace.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 17-01-2015, 10:29 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

So if I am right we have a module with two dissimilar metals that produce a small amount of electricity when heated to drive a motor?
          Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 17-01-2015, 10:44 PM.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If that's how it works, yes.

Comment

I don't understand the technical aspects Potty but you may be able to make sense of it:

Ecofan - Technical information for the Ecofan 800 series
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

A nice neat job there BM, all you can do now is suck it and see.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Thanks for the link BM. Yes it is as I suspected old technology greatly updated and put to a new use.

We have been using the Seebeck effect in the heating industry for a good number of years, it was around when I started back in 1962.

If I say thermocouple most people will recognise it as a part of a gas appliance mainly boilers that they have had to have replaced at some time. The full name thermoelectric coupling gives the game away.
                  Its the bit that sits in the pilot light, generates a small amount of electricity that holds open a electromagnetic valve to allow the boiler to work.

I would think its today brushless electric motors that need so much less power that has made things like this possible.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Yeh..........It Works

Just thought I'd put an update on the canopy shelf thing, please excuse the poor quality, you just can't get the staff these days...............

Comment

Looks good, time will tell if it circulates the hot air. We put ours on the top of a top loading wood burner, Petit Godin and it was not so effective as on the conventional one.

Comment

I've just been back into the room & although the wood had burned down, the fan was still spinning so that's good. It feels nice & warm so have topped up the fire & see what happens.

Comment

Looking good BM....fingers crossed it does the trick!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cheers Nic, I'm happy with the theory. Just need to modify it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              please excuse the poor quality, you just can't get the staff these days
                              No subtitles either. I tried the YouTube captions, but it only offered Dutch (honestly!) which accounts for why I couldn't understand it
                              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

^^^^ sovvener!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X