• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh and vim

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      izal toilet roll.
      It did come in handy to use as tracing paper as well.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Big chunky fairy washing soap and there was a pink one as well, was that lifebuoy?

Comment

izal toilet roll.
          My grandma carefully cut squares of newspaper to hang on a hook in the limed outside lavatory
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

izal toilet roll.
            Naaah, Bronco, made better tracing paper!
            Last edited by roitelet; 28-12-2014, 05:02 PM.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

She had a bathroom, but with no toilet in it! We only had the tin bath

Comment

There was no television either, just a radio. I had to go home when The Archers came on in the evening. As home was only a few doors away, I had a donkey back with my Uncle Harris This is warming my heart!

Comment

Big chunky fairy washing soap and there was a pink one as well, was that lifebuoy?
                  Yes, lifebouy was the pink one but what about the bright yellow one? Carbolic
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Toilet paper, 'Bronco' brand, London, England, 1935-1950

Comment

We always had to announce that we were "going to the lavvie" because there was no lock on the outside toilet door

Comment

izal toilet roll.
                        I remember how 'slippy' that was!!

Comment

sticky flypaper

Comment

I remember the awful Sundays of childhood. We had to go to Sunday school in the morning and weren't allowed to play out or get mucky in the afternoons and everything was shut. If great auntie Bella was around (in full Victorian get up) even my gramdma hid her knitting. Misery.......................

Comment

Sunday evenings was tune in the Radio (with its big light up front covered in strange names like Droitwich, Athlone, Luxembourg) and we'd settle down after tea, to listen to Michael Miles "Take your Pick" where you could win, I think it was 5 shillings, during the "Yes, No Interlude".
                              Then it was Winifred Attwell on the piano, maybe the Black & White Minstrel Show or Billy Cotton, and off to bed we'd go. No central heating, just a grate. No heating upstairs. One electric socket downstairs with lots of adaptors.
                              Outside toilet, wooden seat, pull the chain, newpaper, freezing cold. Tin bath in front of the fire on Friday night, first my brother, then me, then Mum and last my dad because he was grubby from work.
                              There was very little money coming in as, when my Dad was ill (often), there was no sick pay. Mum had to go out cleaning - about 3 different cleaning jobs a day to make ends meet.
                              Seems hard looking back, but we knew no different. We were always out playing with friends who were equally poor. The neighbours helped each other when someone was going through a bad patch.
                              They were happy days and we had a freedom that children these days could never imagine. I wouldn't swap my childhood then for now.

Comment

sticky flypaper
                                Still use that!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X