No announcement yet.

Waste not want not!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He uses hot water pastry, and layers turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I like the idea of layers, but not keen on cranberry. I'm only using pastry on the top, and I'm putting in white sauce too.

I'm sure that his would be just as nice as mine, though.

Comment

Your sounds more moist Hazel!
      After so many calories over Xmas, it'd be nice to eat something less stodgy! ...yum!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Each of these bunnies will split into two - so all in all, our turkey crown has yielded - uh - 20 portions.

Oh - plus a load of stock for soup.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 27-12-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
          He uses hot water pastry, and layers turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I like the idea of layers, but not keen on cranberry. I'm only using pastry on the top, and I'm putting in white sauce too.

I'm sure that his would be just as nice as mine, though.
          I didnt faff with the hot water pasty just used ready made stuff, they're in the freezer now :-)
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I made a pie yesterday from good housekeeping cookbook, turkey and ham hotpot.

It was a simple shortcrust pastry base, no blind baking that's too much faff.

I made a gravy first using the left over meat juices, a sprig of rosemary and a sprig of thyme and a glass of white wine, then left to cool.

At the same time I steamed some chopped veggies.

Then sweated a red onion along with the strained herbs from the gravy and the water from the veggies.

Then built the pie, layered meat & veg covered with the gravy. The recipe called for a herb crust top but I had a good helping of leftover mash from the day before so this went on top instead.

It was then baked in the oven on fan and bottom heat for about 40mins at 180 so it cooked the pastry aswell as the centre.

This made such a large tray that a good section was frozen for a later date.

I also like to slice up the stuffing into portions to be frozen and brought out with sunday roasts at a later date.

Waste not want not...
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Blimey, only just seen this thread, can't believe some if you had already stripped your turkey on Boxing Day! We get one big enough to eat for a week and freeze some for pies etc later, always want extras at Christmas as we tend to have an open fridge buffet most nights while we're off work. Just had a turkey, cranberry, mayo and lettuce butty and will be having turkey with carrots and spuds tonight. All really yummy. Had OH's mum round yesterday so have half a trifle left too - only like them with proper custard so they tend to only get made at Christmas.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ideas for what to do with left over Christmas pudding?

Normally we'd have at least 4 Christmas dinners with all the trimming for various visitors. However this year I've not really been in the mood for full dinners as a result I've got about 1/2 a 2 pound pudding left, so I'm after inventive ideas for the remainder.

I thought I could make some super rich pop cakes and freeze them but, they will have a limited audience come Feb!!. Possibly pudding ice-cream I have an ice-cream maker.

Anyone?

Comment

You can definitely make Christmas pud ice cream, gave a recipe somewhere but can't find it at the moment unfortunately although it doesn't use as much as you have left. Alternatively just keep it until you want to use them, we only had one of last years ones a few weeks ago and it was fine, the sugar and alcohol preserve them well

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This was last years pudding Alison.....!

Comment

Cor, never left over Xmas pud here....unfortunately I can eat it til my sides burst!...much prefer it to mince pies any day!

I was going to suggest Icecream, but you've thought of that!

How about mixing it with some stewed apples...or any fruit ...to reduce the richness and then bake some muffins or a Dorset Apple type cake or into a strudel?

You could crumble it neat into a ginger or raspberry cheesecake?
                      Maybe even crumble a small amount into a trifle for a flavour burst?

Remember you can keep them for years!..we ate one we bought 3 years ago and it was lovely and dark and rich and smooth.
                      My grandma used to make them 3-4 years in advance for all the family and boy were they good!

If all else fails, please either invite me over or pop them in the post to me...I'll help you dispose of them

Comment

Just found this Mikey....

Leftover Christmas pudding rolls recipe - Telegraph

Looks a bit different!

Comment

That is unusual Nicos, I'd have never thought of adding bacon to it. Gotta be worth a try.

Comment

couple of ideas in this thread Mikey .......

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_54911.html
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Ice cream recipe here .......

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...html#post14679
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X