No announcement yet.

How do you keep warm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add my tuppence worth. I have known a couple of people who ended up with carbon monoxide poisoning. One was over several weeks before they realised and ended up in hospital as they suffered with headaches, sickness, rash and allsorts. The other was over a weekend and it was actually a plumber and his was headaches. My point is it does not discrimanate and no matter how safe you think your stove/ boiler etc. is, that is not always the case. A little gas over a long period is just as bad.

Comment

If you are in an atmosphere with just 0.03% CO for 4 to 5 hours you will have 20 t0 30% haemoglobin saturation. Symptoms are flushed skin, headache, breathlessness, slight dizziness and heart palpitation on exertion.

That's why nowadays if we are entering a suspected contaminated atmosphere the probe from a £800 analyser goes first. If the scales start to rise its back out sharpish and call the gas emergency service to cut the gas off outside the premises and back and front doors open to vent the property. Sample the atmosphere every 20 minutes until we get a clear reading
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
        If you are in an atmosphere with just 0.03% CO for 4 to 5 hours you will have 20 t0 30% haemoglobin saturation. Symptoms are flushed skin, headache, breathlessness, slight dizziness and heart palpitation on exertion.

That's why nowadays if we are entering a suspected contaminated atmosphere the probe from a £800 analyser goes first. If the scales start to rise its back out sharpish and call the gas emergency service to cut the gas off outside the premises and back and front doors open to vent the property. Sample the atmosphere every 20 minutes until we get a clear reading
        Hi Pots, I remembered more about the story/issue with the plumbers boiler whilst I was out this morning. He was in a rental and it was serviced and the numpty plumber *yes I am tempted to wink but you might take it the wrong way* forgot to put the plug/gromit back. Genuine accident but it happens. Although I have a vision now of you looking like a ghost buster going into buildings with your probe out (sorry that sounds so wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Rary, did you ever sort out the heating in your conservatory?
          Just curious
          I use a convection heater, I recon that by the time I bought a clay filled radiator to run it over the winter it would take several years for payback, but am considering a log burner.
          The one I have made for the greenhouse can be sealed up air tight as it is made from a stainless steel tank with a welded stainless steel chimney ie no joints. But I do appreciate the comments about the dangers of carbon monoxide
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I hope you don't mean 'air tight'. I hope you mean air tight above the fire hearth with an air inlet lower down to supply combustion air.

NG you keep that vision in your mind I am quite happy if it makes you more cautious as a result.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

with an air inlet lower down to supply combustion air.
              I don't know much about it, but might the air inlet be direct to the outside (such that the fire burner itself is air tight to the "room"?)
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Long burning candle and 2 terracotta pots

Comment

Kristen, that would work perfectly well providing you had a method of controlling the amount of air let to the fire grate.

However the OP has already discussed the fact that ill fitting doors and widows allow plenty of air into the green house, therefore I suspect that the combustion air is drawn from within the structure.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I hope you don't mean 'air tight'. I hope you mean air tight above the fire hearth with an air inlet lower down to supply combustion air.

NG you keep that vision in your mind I am quite happy if it makes you more cautious as a result.
                    I have an air inlet valve at the base of the fire which I could extend to the outside of the greenhouse, and in light of your comments I think I will do that, the windows and doors are not ill fitting but as with all greenhouses they are not tight fitting and without further work such fitting bubble wrap etc. allows air in plus if the greenhouse is warm enough my windows will open.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Rary, do me a favour and buy yourself some heated clothing like this Top 5 Heated Clothing Gadgets For WinterPowder White Ski & Snowboard Blog
                      Then I can stop worrying about whether you're going to make it to 2015

Comment

Rary, do me a favour and buy yourself some heated clothing like this Top 5 Heated Clothing Gadgets For WinterPowder White Ski & Snowboard Blog
                        Then I can stop worrying about whether you're going to make it to 2015
                        Hey, did ye see the price o them

Comment

Ya tightwad !!
                          You should have asked Father Christmas

Comment

You should have asked Father Christmas
                            He would never manage my size into a wee bag to come down the chimney, as no doubt you would have read earlier in this post the chimney is 6in. wide

Comment

I'm sure he could drop you a glove or a sock, one at a time, down the chimney - but he'll only come you've been good

Comment

I'm sure he could drop you a glove or a sock, one at a time, down the chimney]
                                Do you mean every Christmas ? or this Christmas

[- but he'll only come you've been good
                                According to some, I have been very good

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X