No announcement yet.

How do you keep warm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use socks and woolly-hat made by Heat Holders (bought from Sock Shop online)

Heat Holders | Making Life Warmer | Welcome
    https://www.sockshop.co.uk/by_brand/...ers/index.html
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Ah, my greenhouse is purely for plants and doing gardening related tasks. Have a nice comfy chair in the front room for reading and drinking brews so am going to stick with that
      Oh! Alison you dont know what you are missing, the pleasure of an open fire ( the house is gas central heating) a kettle sitting on the top of the fire for a cuppa when friends drop in (Nicos do you take powdered milk or real cow juice) and when just your self you can talk to your plants
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Am I being thick or are you using a log burner inside a greenhouse?................
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Do you have a flue on your stove, rary? Where do the fumes go? Where is the fresh air intake into the GH?
          I have a woodburner in the house with a proper chimney; can't see how you could safely use a woodburner inside a closed space.
          However much you want to get out of doing the housework, its not worth suffocating yourself in the process.

Comment

That's what I was thinking..........both the stove door/s & flue need to be well sealed.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Do you have a flue on your stove, rary? Where do the fumes go? Where is the fresh air intake into the GH?
              I have a woodburner in the house with a proper chimney; can't see how you could safely use a woodburner inside a closed space.
              However much you want to get out of doing the housework, its not worth suffocating yourself in the process.
              just thought you might want a reminder

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ire_82861.html

the thread was closed as it was going in to the realms of calor gas bottle/ log conversion route (a smile because it is nice to know other grapes care even if you struggle to see it)

Comment

I'd sooner put a thick jumper & a hat on................

Comment

Originally posted by Keeks View Post
                  For me when working in the garden on cold days to keep warm i normally wear (from top to bottom) Wooly hat, long sleeve T-Shirt, a Body Warmer, gardening gloves, Tracky bottom.......
                  I never understand body warmers, it's my arms that are cold (less natural lagging) and they leave those unprotected.

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  Oh! Alison you dont know what you are missing, the pleasure of an open fire ( the house is gas central heating) a kettle sitting on the top of the fire for a cuppa when friends drop in (Nicos do you take powdered milk or real cow juice) and when just your self you can talk to your plants
                  Doesn't sound appealing at all, coming back in stinking of smoke, yeukkk.

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  I'd sooner put a thick jumper & a hat on................
                  I'd sooner keep warm doing jobs or come back inside the well insulated house

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Thanks for asking VC & BM and yes I have a 12ft. chimny on the fire wich I am thinking on extending and the fire can be copletely sealed at the base The greenhouse has plenty of air getting into it as there are eight windows fitted on it which are not air tight as well as the door which again is not sealed tight
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Two words............................ Carbon Monoxide
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^^^^ yeh, I was thinking there should be a CO detector in there.
                        It's regulations when it's in a house, no matter how badly insulated isn't it?

I hadn't even thought about wood fires and CO- thought it was just gas fires which needed them...until we had our first tiny one installed in our dining room back in the UK....we had to make a hole in the wall especially for the vent too! ( typical , as we'd just decorated it and the fire was the finishing touch!)

Best be safe rary
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The name gives the game away, carbon monoxide. Can be a product of all carbon fuels, wood, coal, gas, oil and petrol being the most used.

I know I bang on about this, but I have been there so can wear the 'T' shirt. In my youth I was working on the gas board and went down into a cellar to work on a boiler, luckily the fitter saw what was happening grabbed the oxygen kit and dragged me out. It acts so quickly it is truly frightening I had lost the use of my legs in a minute or so. Off to hospital for three days and called lucky B*****d for months by my peers

50 to 60 % saturation of haemoglobin with carbon monoxide will produce loss of consciousness and coma. This sounds like quite a high figure until you realise that only 0.4% of carbon monoxide in atmosphere will give you 60% saturation in haemoglobin in just a few minutes.

Just 30 to 40 % saturation will give you impaired judgement, at that stage any sudden exertion will cause immediate collapse, then your DIE!!!

OH and A HAPPY CHRISTMAS to one and all.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Flippin heck Pots
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It's not called The Silent Killer for nothing:

Why is Carbon Monoxide known as the silent killer?

Comment

Rary, did you ever sort out the heating in your conservatory? http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tor_82126.html
                                Just curious

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X