X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parrot recipes! (Sorry TS)

Fancy Toast: Parrot, Three Ways
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The parakeets alternative name budgerigar is meant to be derived from aboriginal name meaning good to eat
      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

My plot in London was in the heart of Himalayan parakeet country but we never had any trouble. Maybe they've cottoned on to something. They're meant to be very quick learners. And who'd have thought that their native climate is almost the same as that of SW London?! I used to like seeing them actually but they do seem to be getting a bit out of hand. No natural predators apart from birds of prey.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
          The parakeets alternative name budgerigar is meant to be derived from aboriginal name meaning good to eat
          I thought it meant "Good tweet"

Comment

They're fairly regular visitors to my garden, though I've never seen more than 3 at any one time. I quite often see them on the peanut feeder, though I can't imagine their beaks work too well through the mesh. Still, that's where they're to be found! Although they have truly established themselves in the southeast, they still stick out like a sore thumb, though in a good way I think, especially in winter when the garden looks drab.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Anyone eaten a parakeet?
              OH says they taste like guinea pig

We have an African Grey and a Green Cheeked Conure as pets. The GCC lives in the shed because his screeching drives us mad, (and I'm a parrot lover!). Being arboreal he likes to hide away in his nest box all the time anyway, so we're all happy with that arrangement. I wouldn't keep cockatiels again, their call is ear-piercing (but even so, less annoying than Costa coffee shop during half term)

The AG is also loud, but I've trained her to talk rather than whistle: she does find a v.v.loud burglar alarm amusing to do, and also the smoke alarm noise gets employed if I don't pay her enough attention
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X