Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy growing suggestions for over winter please? (Kid related)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your quick you could get cut and come again or quick veg that will stand through winter.

Moreveg* is always worth a look. Small quantity of seeds and very quick delivery. They do have some september sowing seeds available at the moment.

You could also plan for next year and use a free planning app or progam for computer.
    Helps with computer skills and give something to plan towards.

* other seed suppliers are available

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      I'm not sure that would be enough for DofE? Worth asking though
      And also when kids are left to organise and manage their workload they often don't do it. Or leave it to the last minute especially if they weren't interested in the subject to start with.

Much easier to find something with a dedicated time slot every week than a project that they thought they might like...
      Last edited by Scarlet; 08-09-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

10 sessions of an hour or so?
        Find someone on the allotments to take them under their wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          And also when kids are left to organise and manage their workload they often don't do it. Or leave it to the last minute especially if they weren't interested in the subject to start with.

Much easier to find something with a dedicated time slot every week than a project that they thought they might like...
          Actually, a dedicated time slot wouldn't work for her, she's involved in out of hours groups her school arranges but the timing of these can differ from week to week depending on which teacher is available when, and if they have special events coming up or not. This week alone she has something on every day after school apart from Friday, and even then she has arranged to stay behind to get extra help with a subject she's struggling in.

She was also supposed to be there on Saturdays but she also already volunteers somewhere on a Saturday, so she's had to bow out.

She's busy but she managed her time well when she did her Bronze Award so I'm not in the least concerned that she might not organise herself well this time around. It's just a case of things being flexible enough.

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
            Actually, a dedicated time slot wouldn't work for her, she's involved in out of hours groups her school arranges but the timing of these can differ from week to week depending on which teacher is available when, and if they have special events coming up or not. This week alone she has something on every day after school apart from Friday, and even then she has arranged to stay behind to get extra help with a subject she's struggling in.

She was also supposed to be there on Saturdays but she also already volunteers somewhere on a Saturday, so she's had to bow out.

She's busy but she managed her time well when she did her Bronze Award so I'm not in the least concerned that she might not organise herself well this time around. It's just a case of things being flexible enough.

What does she do on Saturday? Can that not count?

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
              Snap. My youngest is a keen hockey player, she volunteered to coach the Minis and that counted (although that was for Bronze)
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                It can count for the volunteering section, not the skills section.

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
                  This week alone she has something on every day after school apart from Friday
                  Can any of her after school activities be classed as a skill? Learning an instrument, dance grade, etc. it's surprising what you can class as a learning a new skill and she wouldn't have to take anything else on board. After all the DoE is there to encourage them to try out new things and it sounds as if she is already doing a lot of that

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Can any of her after school activities be classed as a skill? Learning an instrument, dance grade, etc. it's surprising what you can class as a learning a new skill and she wouldn't have to take anything else on board. After all the DoE is there to encourage them to try out new things and it sounds as if she is already doing a lot of that
                    Tbh Scarlet I'm not sure. I have my doubts as there is no actual 'progression' as such but it's certainly worth asking.

One of her teachers at school that is also a DofE assessor gave them all a pep talk the other day and 'evidence of progression' was emphasised. I don't think any of the after school or weekend things could fulfill that criteria but you never know.

She is learning an instrument presently too but because that's done through school it can't count.

Not to worry, she'll come up with something.

Comment

My niece is doing bell ringing-campanology for hers. The local bell ringers are really busy and travel round various churches mostly Saturday (weddings) and Sunday. They meet up and practice at varying venues in the week and welcomed my niece with open arms. She was very upfront about the short period of time that she would be involved but they seem to believe she will catch the "bug" and I do believe the idea of getting paid for weddings was also a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                        My niece is doing bell ringing-campanology for hers.
                        That's very different! I'd love a go....
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 09-09-2014, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                          My niece is doing bell ringing-campanology for hers. The local bell ringers are really busy and travel round various churches mostly Saturday (weddings) and Sunday. They meet up and practice at varying venues in the week and welcomed my niece with open arms. She was very upfront about the short period of time that she would be involved but they seem to believe she will catch the "bug" and I do believe the idea of getting paid for weddings was also a plus.
                          That sounds like a lot of fun, good on her for trying something new and different.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X