This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlefox2000 View Post
    I agree...I think life is too short to just see negative. I really wish that when I opened a post by this poster, there was something happy or positive in them.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    I think we will be waiting a long time for that LF
    Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I bet he doesn't even know it's causing you a problem. He is doing the right thing by going outside, especially if he has kids.............it's a case of you can't do right for doing wrong.
      Bigmally is right they are doing the right thing in smoking outside especially if they have kids..Its in there own private space,I would not like a neighbour telling me what to do..This is from a non smoker too

Comment

Originally posted by Littlefox2000 View Post
        I agree...I think life is too short to just see negative. I really wish that when I opened a post by this poster, there was something happy or positive in them.
        In my ideal, smiley world, every post would have something happy or positive in it. Unfortunately, they don't.

The choice is yours, gentle readers, to read or ignore posts and posters - by using the Ignore button if necessary. As Moderators, we don't have that option, so, for my future happiness, can we make all future threads and posts happy, positive ones please

Comment

What a horrible thread. I'm surprised at the amount of vitriol and personal comments the OP has had directed at them.

It's a perfectly natural and normal human desire to want to smell nature whilst dealing with nature. Fag smoke is disgusting. End of. (And I smoked for more years than I care to remember and hated the smell even then.)

I'm not suggesting smokers should always have to defer to the wishes of non smokers, far from it, but surely to God people can understand the feelings of fellow gardeners who just want to smell cut grass, roses and whatever other natural smells they wish to surround themselves with?

Is it really such a hanging offence for someone to voice their unhappiness that all they can smell now is dog sh!t and fag smoke?

Perhaps it would have been more helpful to suggest ways to help the OP deal with the situation and their feelings rather than shouting them down for being negative.

OP, I don't know what size your garden is but as has been suggested already, a hedge is quite efficient at blocking out smoke ( speaking from experience here). Failing that, close board panels would offer some respite but not stop it completely. You could perhaps grow some strong smelling climbers up and around them to a) help disguise the panels and b) help mask the smell.

I can understand your frustration and annoyance but of course your neighbours do have the right to smoke freely within their own property boundaries despite you not liking it. You simply don't have the right (or the moral right imo) to expect them to put themselves out to accommodate your preferences.

You really do have to look for ways to improve things so it wont bother you as much. Can I tactfully suggest you also reconsider the suggestion made earlier about masking with citronella?

I do sympathise but it's all about doing what you can to improve things rather than simply feeling annoyed and expecting/hoping the neighbours will change for you.

Comment

Think its time for the Moderator's

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
              No, i dont want to mask it. I can still smell it. We can also smell dog mess in their garden on hot days. And then there are other neighbours dogs barking........ Dont get me started on dogs. People ! I just want to be as far away from them as possible and just have wildlife.
              Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
              What a horrible thread. I'm surprised at the amount of vitriol and personal comments the OP has had directed at them.
              I agree its a horrible thread - but the OP has expressed his dlslike of his neighbour's way of life and we are not in a position to change that. Suggestions have been made and dismissed and that's really the end of it.

Thread Closed

Comment

My gardening time ruined

What i find incredible is the lack of empathy for me having to endure something that is so foul to me i will cross the street to get out of the wake. My wife included. Just because most of you said its a " mild annoyance" doesnt mean it is to me and many others. Its a horrible, foul, toxic smell that invades my space. I cant help it I just cant stand it and never have since a very young child. Perhaps if i came and lived next door to you and stirred up rotting comfry leaves you might not like that. Of course it would be a mild annoyance to me and a smell i would rather have than smoke. I dont know what it is with gardening forums but I have already left one due to bullying unhelpful remarks, some sardonic about my failures and some very helpful but more bad than good. Looks like in the future i will get my help from books, learning by mistakes and gardeners question time.
                Last edited by Marb67; 11-08-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X