No announcement yet.

Who eats "Meat and two veg"?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a few others, I centre our meals around what's available from the allotment or garden. I like to try and find new ways of using things up, so as not to get tired of the taste, so do a fair bit of experimenting (though I can't say it worked, the year of the turnip glut!)

We do have MATV occasionally but tend to favour things that cook in one pot, like curries, stews, spag bol, bakes, etc. I'm always trying to cut down on my carbs, so it's Mr Nooser who ends up eating most of the spuds, much as I like them.

In summer my lunch is always salad from the garden and in winter it's always a soup make of lottie veg.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
      tend to favour things that cook in one pot, like curries, stews, spag bol, bakes, etc
      As a family we rarely eat a one pot meal. My OH doesn't like food that is served in a sauce and the kids don't like spices!

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
        So it looks like it's only me and a couple of other grapes who rarely/never eat spuds... at least I'm not completely alone!!!

Tea/dinner/supper*** last night was vegetable kebabs with houllami (no added salt!!!) and no meat. Last potato dish I had was a variation of Nigel Slater's black pudding supper two weeks ago!

*** delete as appropriate for your local dialect!!!
        DINNER for us last night was a large trout, stuffed with garlic, parsley and garlic chives, served with a mixed lettuce leaf and cosse violette French bean salad, roasted black cherry tomatoes toms and some very lovely pink fir apples!

Comment

i'm a true omnivore the only things i don't eat are bananas (as i'm allergic)jerusalem artichokes (cos they taste like snot)and avacados (cos it's like eating soap and is high fat)
          we do a full roast every sunday usually wth 5-6 veg + spuds
          we eat less potatoes than we used too as there are so many options for carbs in different quisines and I love them all ,wraps/tortillas with mexican style dishes or quinoa ,chapattitis or naan breads with rice for indian cuisine,the inevitable pasta in all its forms with italian dishes and cous cous with middle eastern food.
          it's not that we have gone off spuds there are just so many other choices available and we tend to eat seasonally on the fruit and veg front,otherwise why else would you grow it?
          that aside you can't beat egg & chips in a pinch
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Some of these meals sound lovely. I would never think to put some of those ingredients together. I am not a great cook. My mothers fault for being over critical.
            Think we should have a forum call 'meal menus' where people just put down what they had for tea and how they made it. No comments just what you've done.
            Would help a muppet like
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
              Some of these meals sound lovely. I would never think to put some of those ingredients together. I am not a great cook. My mothers fault for being over critical.
              Think we should have a forum call 'meal menus' where people just put down what they had for tea and how they made it. No comments just what you've done.
              Would help a muppet like
              We have a whole sub-forum.
              Season to Taste
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

There are so many things to eat that I can't manage all of them at the same time
                Love tatoes, but love everything else too. It depends on how much time I've got, but everything that passes mine and Monsieur P's lips is as fresh as possible. I am lucky as I love cooking.
                Living here, we have access to wonderful fish and shellfish as well as lovely meat..... we also eat several meatless meals during the week as we like vegetarian food too. Sigh. If only I had as many stomachs as a cow....

Comment

Since OH has been in hospital for so long, I rarely cook traditional MATV - No 2 son is over for the weekend so we had a chicken and smoked sausage casserole with potatoes, beans and corn for supper last night.

If I am on my own (which is the vast majority of the time) I will eat salad most evenings ... no hardship, leaves, tomatoes, cukes, onions all from the garden. I rarely bother with potatoes for myself unless I cook a batch and use them cold in salads for a couple of days. I am eating far less meat too - simply because OH is the carnivore! I know our local butcher's takings have dropped dramatically.

I am not fond of boiled rice - quite like pasta, love a jacket potato, adore bread - so if I have curry will always choose some kind of bread to accompany it. Love fruit and veg - often make 3 bean chilli, hearty veggie soups. Lots of eggs at the allotment site at the moment, so I have been experimenting with quiche - Mediterranean veggies and Goat's cheese last week, Broccoli and Stilton the week before, traditional one for tomorrow.

Like many other posters I just enjoy food. I like to grow it, I love to cook and I love to eat (I am really good at the latter and moderately competent at the two former )

Comment

Meat and two veg to me is meat and two veg+plus potatoes.

To add a bit of colour to the plate I usually like a green and another coloured veg. For instance, I wouldn't have peas and cabbage, or swede and carrot. I usually stick with peas and carrots then chuck in another veg as well from the allotment.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

But what if your other veg was a green one?
                      If you've done green and orange, what else would you have as No 3.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        But what if your other veg was a green one?
                        If you've done green and orange, what else would you have as No 3.
                        PSB or sweetcorn or mooli!

And before you answer, I know that PSB goes green when cooked!

As long as I have two colours at least, additional different textures of the same colour scheme are acceptable!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You could have roastie spuds and cauliflower, or boiled spuds and roast parsnips, or red cabbage? Rainbow chard? I am with Snadge, I like a range of colour on my plate!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X