No announcement yet.

Gardening and Other Halves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine likes looking at it and eating it but that's about It. If I want something lugging, digging, building or watering I have to do it myself. I don't mind that too much really.

Comment

We have "an arrangement" mrs snakeshack does the garden at home and likes the flowers , I help with the heavy lifting, mowing etc. I do the allotment , swmbo has visited it once in 5 years . If you can't eat it I don't grow it apart from green manure and carnivorous plants.I also prep all the fruit and veg that comes home. I'm also the jam, wine, beer , liquor , chutney , bacon, bread and sausage maker. There is some crossover however, as herbs tomatoes and chillies are grown at home for ease of use as are some salad cucumbers and dill for pickling.we both like it this way and decide what will be grown in broad terms but not specific varieties eg what tomato variety / contents of hanging baskets

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

My OH is the same . Wants an instant garden. We are doing a lot of work in ours as we have recently moved to a hillside cottage in wales . I am looking towards seeing it evolve over time. He wants it looking as if we've been here for years!! Where's the sense of achievement in that I say! Oh well at least he's taking an interest. I'm sure he'll see it my way eventually either that or he'll be banned from the garden!!

Comment

My OH and I have completely different ideas about the garden . When we moved to our bare plot 11 years ago we had separate flower beds. He planted lots of evergreens and conifers. These got huge and very boring. He lost interest quickly and I looked after these and my pretty flower beds. If he didn't weed or touch them for 2 years and I had looked after them, I claimed them. Quietly spirited the dull conifers away.He thinks I'm completely bonkers now I'm into veg and chickens now.Calls them ' gold plated' and thinks the supermarket veg is better!
          He builds his cars now but we do enjoy looking around gardens like Hidcote together. But apart from cutting the hedge and the grass the garden is my domain now ...
          Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

I put a lot of effort into reformatting the garden at the beginning of the year for a reason, it was high maintenance and demanded far too much time, attention and compromise. I live alone for the same reason. I can do what I want, when I want, and how I want ... in the home as well as the garden

Comment

My OH is the designer and landscaper, I am the "horticulturist" Fortunately he is as passionate about his side as I am about mine. Unfortunately if he steps on a plant or it gets buried under a pile of bricks he just calls it collateral damage, as he puts it you can't break eggs without having an omelette . We do each have the power of veto. If he comes up with a scheme that I just don't like he can't do it. Same with plants, I can't plant any plants or flowers he doesn't like. So hydrangeas are banned as are too many yellow flowers (he doesn't like the colour yellow for some reason). So I can't have my large drifts of daffs that I wanted. Having said all that he does take an interest in all I am growing, and does enjoy the flowers, which are my first passion.
              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Sorry to hear that mumbles.

my OH does more than me!!..and we think along the same lines!
                I am the boss in my house, and my wife said I could say so.......

Comment

Wow just been to Wilkos to get more raspberry canes and he tagged along. Safe to say was not really looking forward to it but we managed to agree on some plants and got some with no bickering!

Comment

At least he likes shopping

Mine mows the lawn sometimes, always leaves it grow too long, then moans about having to do it....whereas I will mow it at the first signs of straggle and strimit to an inch of it's life given half a chance.

In practice that means I don't do it very often because I can't step on his lawn mowing toes.

A combination of both of the above means that this year I went straight through a quince I'd been nurturing and couldn't see through the savannah that was by the fence....doh!

Comment

I do feel I've tricked him a bit though as one of the plants we agreed on for the small planter we've got is for a shrub. This means when he gets bored of the gardening in a month or so I can move it to a more suitable place for a shrub!

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                        I am the boss in my house, and my wife said I could say so.......
                        I used to work with a guy who said; "I wear the trousers in my Wife's House!"

My Hubby isn't interested in gardening at all. Unless it involves the word 'chainsaw' or 'bonfire.' He will, however, help lug things around, but with a slipped disc, he has to be careful now. A couple of months back, he took it upon himself to hand-weed one of the front borders. Just means I have to find another twenty baby hedging plants to nurture, as this was my 'nursery' bed.

Nowadays, I get my fix by gardening for other people. We get to work in some fabulous gardens, and yes, I get paid for it. But it's not the same as having your own little patch of heaven.
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X