No announcement yet.

Over zealous allotment committee?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had planted lots of onions and potatoes 2 or 3 weeks prior to the letter arriving. I think its the
    fact that some people have retired and its their life. They spend most of the day there. And every single day.
    They seem to be expecting others to do the same.

The people at the other site will actually speak to you, They wouldnt send a nameless letter, They all have my phone number and email address etc.

Whats worse covering with chippings or letting the weeds take hold again?

The small plot that this thread is about was fairly soggy throughout the winter. Walking on the plot would not have done it anygood at all. As you say its a harder job when you start. But I strimmed it and then dig out the weeds.
    But comfrey and nettles are in abundance on this plot. The nasty comfrey that spreads like wildfire.

The plot behind is infested with the stuff also and its costing me to keep it at bay. But i just get on with it.
    They moaned about the nettles previously. I said i keep spraying them my side buy the plot next to mine have them 3ft deep and do nothing about them. OK we will have a word. (these were the people i spoke to when taking the plot). The nettles are still an issue.

I left some to bake in the hot weather last year. 2 weeks of baking sun on the roots. Everything looked dead. But seems its stronger than that. Made a little compost pile and the stuff started growing again.

I think my face and more so my amateur ways dont fit into their perfect little world.
    Last edited by Lazy Gardener; 27-06-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Until you track down the writer of the letter, I'm not sure what else any of us can do other than offer moral support as it seems you still don't really know what the issue is, but are assuming it is the chippings.

Comment

...and are you even sure it's come from the committee?

If it's not got an official heading or been signed then how can you be 100% from the committee?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You really do need to speak to the committee, don't wait for them to speak to you as from what you've said they won't. When you've spoken to them you'll find out if a) it's from them and b) if it is then what they actually have a problem with ie do you actually know it's the mulch? Without this information you're only guessing and it sounds like it's getting you down. You might not like what you hear but at least you'll know.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Its from the committee as nobody else would have our address, Its the chippings as its mentioned
            specifically on the letter.

Just grabbing a bite between visiting times at the moment but hopefully have time on the way home
            to get a contact number.

I didnt want to put the exact details as i have seen the site mentioned by other users on here.
            Not sure if they are plot holders or even committee members?

Obviously i needed to give a bit more information than my initial post. So yes its the chippings.
            Not to be used to suppress weeds, But OK for paths according to the letter.

Yet i was told its my plot and i can do what i want previously.
            Last edited by Lazy Gardener; 28-06-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

If you know who mentioned your site & don't want to disclose any info on the thread, would it help to send them a pm? You never know, they may be able to advise better as everyone else is a bit blind.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Gardener View Post
                So yes its the chippings.
                Is that in your contract or any rules which you could view? If not then they're not really in a position to criticise.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Gardener View Post
                  So yes its the chippings.

Yet i was told its my plot and i can do what i want previously.
                  We have chippings provided on our allotment and they are meant for use as paths . . . did you provide your own or were they supplied by the association ?
                  My allotment in pictures

Comment

I might have missed this bit, but what does the letter actually say? Is it threatening immediate action or just asking you to sort it out? I agree that a quick chat is by far the most useful way of sorting most things out. Follow it up an email for 'proof' if it seems appropriate.

I'm on our allotment committee, but any letters go out from the council, not us. We have an allotment shop which opens on a Sunday morning and it's really worth getting to know people. I've seen a couple of situations get sorted out with a friendly chat on a Sunday morning which were threatening to get a bit more complicated. Our established committee members have worked really hard over the years, and do a brilliant job and dedicate many unseen hours to making things run smoothly for everyone. I agree a quick word on your plot would have been the best idea but maybe they've tried that in the past and got nowhere (with other people, not you!). Maybe they just had a thousand things on that day, who knows?

With 'my face doesn't fit' etc comments, it's cranking it up a bit into a personal issue which is probably isn't at all. It's hard to find time with family commitments and the like, but it is in your interests to get it sorted. In your shoes, I'd pop along tomorrow morning and see how much can be smoothed over.

Good luck anyway!
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Thanks for reading my grumbles,

Well i have had a good think about this and decided to give this one up.

The my face doesnt fit was a bit tongue in cheek as my username points out im lazy and just because everyone says im doing it wrong wont stop me trying it.
                      They all said dont dig and add manure before planting onions yet it was my best crop ever. Ive still got beetroot in the freezer from last year i grew that much of it.

But this years a total washout. Father in law is in hospital yet again. Lots count how many times this year. But recently its almost a weekly thing.
                      In for 10 days out for 5, In for 7 days out for 2 and back again.

My compost bin at home must have 2 bags of compost in from seedlings that i started and they died because we didnt get time to plant them.
                      47 tomato plants died.. I have 2 spindly specimens left. I should chuck them really. Dont know why i keep watering them.

5 trays of beetroots, Trays of pakchoi, cabbages, parsnips, turnips and kohlrabi. (RIP ALL DEAD)
                      Managed to plant the 3rd tray of peas though. But will they grow?
                      (Can you guess i like beetroot)?

Anyway my larger plot is coping quite well with the lack of attention, We picked over 1kg of strawberries and 1kg of Raspberries.
                      Blackcurrants and Redcurrants are doing well, But small crops that mostly got eaten there and then.
                      Apples are doing nicely. Although i should take them off really. Trees are a bit young to fruit.
                      I though 1 apple wont hurt it too much. Removed any more than 1 on each.

Potatoes maybe starting to wilt, Seems a bit soon though. Ones on the other plot are still growing.

We managed to pop in tonight on the way home from the hospital. And the peas dont look well. Struggled to find them. I thought are we sure thats where we put them.

What can i put in that will be done before October when the rents are due. I know pakchoi is fast growing but the heat causes them to bolt. They did last year. That mad 2 weeks of summer in July caused them to bolt almost instantly.

Seems thats an early or later crop ideally.

Thanks for the comments.

Someone else in the family are finally taking over this weekend so we will have 2 days off. They must be feeling guilty because they are going away in 2 weeks. I wont go into that.. but

oops sorry.. Thanks all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X