Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best advice you have been given?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My best piece of advice was not about growing, but about compost.

Don't have a couple of big compost bins at the end of the plot where you have to take all your compost material, break your back turning one bin into the other every now and again, then barrow all the finished compost onto each bed.

Instead, have a dalek composter on each bed (I have eight 16' by 4' beds and have a dalek on every other) - easy to chuck the weeds into, and when you're ready to spread the compost when the bed is empty at the end of winter, you can just knock the dalek over and spread the finished compost on the bed.

Then you can reposition the dalek on the next bed up and chuck anything uncomposted back in along with some horse much, and we're ready to go again.

Comment

You don't have to do it all at once, slow and steady wins the race. I'm an 'all or nothing' kinda gal, so I have to remind myself of that at regular intervals!

Comment

I think the best advice I've been given was:
        Don't do things you don't want to - i.e. if something in you is telling you some move isn't right, think deeply about it before you do anything - because you can always change No to Yes but can't always change Yes to No.

Another good and practical one for foragers who like to eat as they go:
        Always bear in mind how high a dog can pee.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
          My best piece of advice was not about growing, but about compost.

Don't have a couple of big compost bins at the end of the plot where you have to take all your compost material, break your back turning one bin into the other every now and again, then barrow all the finished compost onto each bed.

Instead, have a dalek composter on each bed (I have eight 16' by 4' beds and have a dalek on every other) - easy to chuck the weeds into, and when you're ready to spread the compost when the bed is empty at the end of winter, you can just knock the dalek over and spread the finished compost on the bed.

Then you can reposition the dalek on the next bed up and chuck anything uncomposted back in along with some horse much, and we're ready to go again.
          That sounds like Two-Sheds.
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Not necessarily gardening related

Trust your instincts,

If you don't try, you won't know,

Just do it..................

Forgot this (hope its not sexist) Never trust a man with white socks
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 24-03-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I think the best I've read recently is that people can't see what you think, only what you do. This becomes quite obvious with age, but the curse of youth is that sometimes we can feel aggrieved when somebody misunderstands us or judges us, forgetting of course that they can't read our minds. The flipside of course is not to judge a book by its cover.

The other good bit of advice I've found is to trust your instincts.

Comment

My Mother always says never trust a salesman with facial hair, he's trying to hide something....

Gardening advise however often goes in one ear and out the other, it takes a number of sources and occasions for anything to stick, at which point I've forgotten the point of reference., and it has become my idea!!!
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

1963 16 years old, first time working on a live high pressure gas main.

The gas was whistling out and the foreman could see I was bricking it. he looked at me smiled and said "Don't worry lad if you see me run................................bladdy follow me"
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                    I remember once when I was little one spring my nan stood looking at a pile of snow by a stone wall. So I just had to go over and ask her what she was doing, well you do when you are little.
                    She told me we were going to have some more snow because the stuff on the ground was waiting for company. Well that day was blazing hot hence most of the snow had melted. I remember thinking she had lost it a bit. But hey 3 days later we had a load more snow.
                    My nan used to say much the same thing "There'll be more snow yet to take that away"
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Advice from my mother, learn from your mistakes.
                      Sounds a bit harsh but its so true.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Best advice from my Father "if you don't ask, you don't get"
                        Nannys make memories

Comment

If you absolutely can't make your mind up about a certain issue, flip a coin. Chances are before it has even landed you'll know which way you want it to be.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

From my days serving 'er Madge' Never eat anything in the mess that is under a thick crust. Never go for a dump wearing your greatcoat!

Cheers, Tony.
                            Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kleftiwallah View Post
                              From my days serving 'er Madge' Never eat anything in the mess that is under a thick crust. Never go for a dump wearing your greatcoat!

Cheers, Tony.
                              Or for that matter your boiler suit!!!!!

Potty
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X