Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have solar panels...................................

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get to be a demon about noticing when it's really sunny and running and putting some washing on!

Comment

Another thing to consider is who owns the panels? (you, or the company). Who pays for maintenance & repairs to the panels? They're going to be up there for at least 10 years to "pay you back" the cost of installation.

We were just about to get them installed on our large south facing roof, then the Govt reduced the amount of ££s you could earn back from them, so we have delayed
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

AFAIK Government has only reduce FIT for PV "recently" for houses with poor EPC - basically if you don't have loft insulation etc. government won't pay you a grant for PV because you aren't "green enough". Presumably they will give you a grant to install loft insulation etc. so maybe it is fair enough that first of all the house should be made reasonably energy efficient, and then a "grant" (FIT payments or whatever) is made available for PV
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have a few customers who have them

One customer had them fitted about 20 the years ago
          a firm from germany came over and fitted the before
          The feed in tariff.

The solar panels made the meter spin backward
          Only problem they had was to make sure the meter
          Didn't go back beyond the previous reading this caused
          Huge problem
          They would have fan heaters on to make sure they didn't go
          Into negative readings.
          The utility company would come around take one look system
          And walk away the fuse box meter had warning sticker in german.

Another customer had huge problems selling there house
          Because of the solar panels.
          The panels belonged to the company who fitted them
          And the home owner leased them unknown to them
          The house sale fell through due to the contract on the solar
          Panels.
          They had to pay to get out of the contract and ended up
          Removing them in order to sell the house.

Another customer had problems with the control unit
          The firm which fitted the panels was no loner trading
          she couldn't find anyone to fix the system
          Her only option was to have complete new system fitted.

Make sure your roof tiles/slates are in good condition
          Before fitting it can be very expensive to have all the panels remove and
          Re fix in order to re roof.

Comment

Originally posted by green thing View Post
            Another customer had huge problems selling there house Because of the solar panels.
            The panels belonged to the company who fitted them And the home owner leased them... house sale fell through due to the contract on the solar Panels.
            Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at with my post above ^

I've been advised that it's safer NOT to take the "free" panels, but to buy your own, so that you remain the owner for the whole life of them.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
              I'd suggest teaming up, but as much as I like you, I don't really want to live with you

hehe
              Dude I like to live next to someone that doesn't spend all day doing DIY, that way my efforts get appreciated by the OH as opposed to her moaning that Chris next door is building a new seating area when are you gonna do mine....
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at with my post above ^

I've been advised that it's safer NOT to take the "free" panels, but to buy your own, so that you remain the owner for the whole life of them.
                I'd agree with this, if they're actually part of the property (ie you bought them) they can be a good asset as they are an income to the new owner. Wouldn't touch the rent your roof space ones though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

You have all been so much help
                  I'm going to look in to buying our own panels and getting them fitted by a FIT registered bod.
                  My ideal would be being completely 'off grid' that would be great .................

Comment

We have a large south facing roof which would be ideal for solar panels. However we plan to move in the next 10 years or less. The whole business of what happens when we move is why we've never pursued the "free ones". Also put off buying them, other than lack of ready cash, as I'm not sure whether we would recoup the outlay before moving, or whether we would recoup some of their value by adding value to the house. Or would we reduce saleability? Wouldn't put me off but you never can tell.
                    We have 117 at school and they generated £3000 worth of electricity last year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X