No announcement yet.

Rabbit farming

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People of a "certain age", and definitely those in the poorer parts of the country, and during the war (1&2) ate a tremendous amount of rabbit. Usually it was wild rabbit, easier to manage, no cleaning out pens or feeding, all you had to do was take a little walk into the country with a couple of ferrets and a few nets

Some of the old guys round here made a tidy living out of supplying local butchers nd game merchants before the 'myx was introduced by farmers who were getting overrun with the furry little darlings.

Strangely, those same farmers were reluctant to let the old guys keep the numbers in check but were happy to introduce into the rabbit warrens one of the most sickening diseases witnessed by man.

If I want a rabbit for the pot, and believe me, there's nothing nicer with a bit of mince, an onion, a few herbs in a casserole, I would give my neighbour a nod. He has shooting rights on some land which he uses to rear pheasants for local shoots. He would turn up with a couple of beauties the next morning.

If you want to eat rabbit regularly there is one thing to be aware of, too much rabbit can lead to liver and kidney problems, as the meat is too lean Rabbit starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cooking with a bit of fatty mince reduces the risk, but I wouldn't eat rabbit more than once or twice a week, and certainly not keep eating rabbit that regularly on an ongoing basis.

see also New Vegan Mom: Eating only Rabbit can kill you.
    Last edited by george356; 28-03-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X