Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorilla gardening anyone??

How does this work??

I'm guessing you just scatter seeds somewhere that you walk quite regular then once crop is ready you harvest!!!?????

So really your doing an organised forage for plants/food that may or may not be there??

Is that right???

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Guerrilla gardening is in its basic form, a type of anarchic direct action where gardeners identify a disused, neglected or abandoned piece of land - which they do not own - and use it to grow either crops, flowering plants or to create wildlife areas. The aim is simple: to rescue land from perceived neglect or misuse and give it a fresh purpose.

Some guerrilla gardening activities are secretive and technically illegal, sometimes carried out under the cover of night. They can also be subversive and aimed at delivering a strong message to statutory authorities, such as the creation of wildflower gardens on barren roundabouts.
    The Guerrilla Gardening Home Page
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Funny you post this I was thinking about this myself today was thinking along the lines of creating areas for for foraging in later years for example walnut trees are huge I know of one my area in someone's garden there's a lot of countryside around me but I can't fit one in my garden ergo I'll plant one somewhere and collect walnuts in yrs to come same with raspberry blackberrys blackcurrents and such like

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I think the thing to be wary about is that you are not introducing garden flowers into the countryside where they could possibly become an invasive species- having originated on a different continent?

food crops are slightly different I suppose?
        Last edited by Nicos; 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

There's an article in this month's GYO mag explaining how to make seed bombs: moulding a lump of clay full of wildflower seeds or anything else and then slinging it out of your car window onto a derelict plot of land, neglected roundabout or similar. A year later the plants should start to grow. I suspect it's wisest to do it while no-one's looking!
          My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by Jakejakeyjakejake View Post
            Funny you post this I was thinking about this myself today was thinking along the lines of creating areas for for foraging in later years for example walnut trees are huge I know of one my area in someone's garden there's a lot of countryside around me but I can't fit one in my garden ergo I'll plant one somewhere and collect walnuts in yrs to come same with raspberry blackberrys blackcurrents and such like
            Of course, you have to be prepared and resigned to the fact that someone else, quite possibly the owner of the land, may cut them down, rip them out, spray them, or dig them up and take them away. I certainly wouldn't deliberately plant blackberries - they can be very invasive, and besides, there are plenty around in the countryside anyway.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Around my area a new road was put in some years back. Meant additional bridges crossing it and a few more roundabouts.

Then the council seemed to have a good idea: all the new banks and additional verges are planted with wild flowers (tons of the things). The new roundabouts are also planted with wild flowers. You can see over them at present but in a couple of months there will be 2-3 feet of wild flowers growing deep on each. The roundabouts are very much a raised bed, just a damn big raised bed.

They also have figured out that they have to be left to set seed before cutting back, so they are left to do so.

Have to say it makes a pleasant difference. Maintenance is I suppose minimal, and the bees are happy.

Comment

My 140,000 poppy seeds are just itching to be covertly sown given the historical timeline....
                The cats' valet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X