lost greenhouse panes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost greenhouse panes?

Has anybody lost any greenhouse panes in today's winds?

I came home to find one of my polycarb roof panels on the lawn.

I have done a quick temporary fix, for now....

On the weekend I might run a piece of baton along the length of the lower quarter of the roof panels on the one side, and then screw down somehow.

THis will minimise the 'flapping'

I have two 8 ish X 10 ish bolted end to end and I removed all roof and upwind side panels before Christmas. I'll wait until the frosts have killed off all the buggies then wash and replace the panes.

Cheers, Tony.
    Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

It is a common problem, polcarb can flex and come out of its attachments. The usual cure is to seal round each pane with clear silicone, but your baton idea is sound. Poly carb does have its advantages such as cost and safety where chilldren are concerned.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Yep, I lost one as well.. Found it on the lawn this evening... Too dark to do anything with it, so can wait til weekend for dinner silicone..
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

I've posted this several times but my solution was to run 602mm canes horizontally between the glazing bars, 3 per pane (Top, Bottom & Centre). Never lost a pane. You can just about make them out in the pic.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 05-02-2014, 11:08 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Bill - Yes I have a 3 year old daughter running around the garden, so polycarb has proved great so far.

BM - Yes I have seen your photos on other threads, thank you.

I have had a very slight change of plan. I think I will remove the pane that is causing problems, silicone heavily around the 'edge' refit pane onto a silicone bed, fit loads of clips and then silicone on top.

If this does not work, then I will get the saw out.....
            Last edited by chilli_grower; 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

It is interesting to note that the only pane I had blow out on mine was the one I had completely missed with the silicone.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Might not be relevant in this situation but a lot of people forget that even when it is windy it can still get warm enough for 'auto-vents' to open up greenhouse ventilation. The results can be disastrous.

Always disconnect 'auto-openers' and lock the roof lights in the winter.

A neighbour had his vents come open and (I know this sounds weird) the force of the air blowing over the open roof lights caused the poly-carb panels to be sucked out of the frames and into the greenhouse.
                It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

good point snuffer, but I broke my auto vent before I even fitted it!!!!!

I have used bulldog clips inside the greenhouse to keep the window shut tight, as this has also previously blown out.

I will have to try my best to wipe the area dry before applying silicone. I really need it done before this weekends wind arrives....

Comment

Don't forget to use the correct silicone there are many types for many purposes.

Evo Stick 'Sticks Like Sh*t is very good it will bond wood, plastic, brick and metal. Works on wet/damp surfaces, is not affected by extremes of temperature and is made for both internal and external use. Screwfix will have a counter somewhere near you and keep it in stock.

Not the cheapest but one of the best and yes VC that is it correct name.

Potty
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Evo Stick is brillliant but in this case too brilliant, Its a contact adhesive so you dont get much chance to adjust the position of the pane, and if you want to take the GH apart you will have to smash every pane and do a lot of cleaning up. In my humble opinion.

Comment

Bill,

You shouldn't need to align it, it should be a reasonable tight fit into the frame. If at any time you need to remove it just apply a smear of silicone removal gel, it will be gone in no time, the silicone that is not the polycarbonate sheet.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Not the cheapest but one of the best and yes VC that is it correct name.

Potty
                          I'm very familiar with Sticks like Sh*t Potty, the shirtless builders seemed to delight in telling me about it

Comment

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, fortunately they were clearing an old plot on my site and they found a pile of spare panels and the site rep realised they were for the same type of greenhouse as mine. I am the only with one so got the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              I'm very familiar with Sticks like Sh*t Potty, the shirtless builders seemed to delight in telling me about it
                              Glad about that didn't what you chasing me with your ever so slightly pointy stick.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X