Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on gardening with Arthritis

Hi there,

looking for any tips and techniques on gardening with arthritis.

Thanks
    Keep on trying...each failure is one step closer to a success.
    — Thomas J. Vilord

Hi there, let me be the first weird and wacky answer to say that I find the first few nettle stings in the year help my stiff fingers and joints! Something to do with the astringency. That and the painkillers before I start on the plot!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Do a bit at a time rather than all day stints, and use long handled tools.
      use your hoe often so you don't have to do much kneeling/weeding, and stop doing a lot of digging.
      Opening the surface with a fork is enough for most soils - the only bit on my plot that gets dug is with the planting and digging up of potates (Even these get harvested a few at a time to spread the workload!)

Comment

I find raised beds a boon and in the case of arthritis the higher the better. Pots on tables or pedestals anything to save getting on your knees.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Dose up with painkillers before going onto plot, and wear supportive footwear. If you can still kneel, you can buy protective padded knee pads
          DottyR

Comment

It all depends on where in the body is affected. Mine is my hands, neck and lower back, so I avoid digging and bending jobs. I don't go outside in wet weather and wrap up warm when its cold.
            I Work in short gentle bursts and keep having a rest.
            When weeding and planting out, I lay a strip of dry carpet on the ground and half lay on it while working.
            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I find one of these a great help getting up or down. Best of all it flips over to make a seat.

Potty
              Attached Files
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                I find one of these a great help getting up or down. Best of all it flips over to make a seat.

Potty
                Potty I use one of those, I don't have joint problem but I still find it comfier than those foam kneelers, plus it makes a handy seat. or foot stool.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

IT all depends on how bad it affects you,i cannot be on my knees,so have to bend a little at a time,if any other joints get the twitches,play it by ear as to what you can manage,carry on as normal,but listen to your body,also a few mins rest and gentle slow stretches helps,don't let it beat you,,if unsure take medical advice,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

My husbands solution seems to be to get me to do the work while he keeps me supplied with cups of tea.

Comment

It would help if we knew a little more of your problem,what joints are affected ? & what type do you suffer from rheumatoid, osteoarthritis, elderly arthritis,etc ?
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Stiffness & pain I have in abundance. It's why I stopped digging. I educated myself in the ways of no-dig, mulching, green manures and surface composting (One Straw Revolution), and have never looked back.

I still have to manage my time and workload, knowing I will suffer for days on end if I overdo it. I try to limit myself to 4 hrs activity a day, which experience has taught me is about my limit.

I'm on lots of pills, none of which really work. Tonight I'm sitting in my electric shawl, and I'll rub my aching back in arnica oil before bed.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi there,

WOW - thanks for all your advice.

It is really appreciated.
                          Keep on trying...each failure is one step closer to a success.
                          — Thomas J. Vilord

Comment

and do you have any tips broch????....
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Broch, I have found that if you are doing something you enjoy the pain can be ignored, is it not surprising how many gardeners have arthritis yet still manage to work wonders in their garden, but as has been said get tools that suit you and I have found just as BHH said the higher you make raised beds the easier it is to work them, for normal level? gardening one of the best tools is a hand fork fitted to a long shaft, it can get into small spaces and covers for a rake or hoe and when my wife brings me out a cuppa its something to lean on ( I will have to contact Greenishfings husband for some advice)
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X