Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortcomings

What are yours?

I can't boil an egg anymore. Used to be able to, it may be as my chooks are laying different side eggs now ( I've tried three different ways- 3 min boil from cold water, 4 min in boiling water, and Delia's method from her how to cook range (yes, I went back to my basic cool books!! - I wanted to be a chef at one point!)). Poached egg wise, I nail them, just can't boil! I've been trying to convince my daughter that it's the same, just without a shell.. She's not having it!

I probably have a lot of others, but this egg one is doing my sweede in!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Shall we swap? I can boil you the perfect egg, and you can poach eggs, for the BH, that don't resemble rubberised string?
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Go on then Chris, what's the matter with your boiled eggs? Apart from over / under cooking or boiling dry am struggling to see what you do wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Shortcomings!? Me!?

We'd soon be at two million posts if I started to list them!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Chris there's a big difference between a '3 min boil from cold water and 4 min in boiling water' I supposed it depends how soft you want your egg.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It's funny but I am having trouble too, I used to get the perfect egg for me by timing 4min 30 sec, now they still have runny snot in them, quite off putting. I put it down to global warming.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Go on then Chris, what's the matter with your boiled eggs? Apart from over / under cooking or boiling dry am struggling to see what you do wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
              Yolks are never runny! Not sure what ok doing differently now

Oh and I can never slice the things neatly - top them like.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Water temperature.

The proteins in whites start to set at 61C (142F) yolks at 65.5C (150F), so if you keep the water temperature at exactly 65C (149F) you will have a perfect soft boiled egg even if you cook it for half an hour.

There is another protein in the white that starts to set at 84C (184F), and when that is set is when the white is rubbery.

In other words, you're boiling it too fast, try simmering instead.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

As for topping them, I generally tap the top all over and peel off the top bit of shell, then you can slice neatly through the exposed egg
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Prefer fried egg mesell. Solid white, soft yolk running through a mountain of chips! Ye canna whack it!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shortcomings?

Hang on whilst I get my list.......

.............I have to store it off site as it got too big for the spare room!!
                      The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                        What are yours?

I can't boil an egg anymore. Used to be able to, it may be as my chooks are laying different side eggs now ( I've tried three different ways- 3 min boil from cold water, 4 min in boiling water, and Delia's method from her how to cook range (yes, I went back to my basic cool books!! - I wanted to be a chef at one point!)).
                        This is really sad but there is an app for it! I've used a couple of android ones but as you are an ipad user not sure if they are available on iphone.

Look for one that lets you select the egg weight and temperature. I found when I had home grown eggs when i was chicken sitting the different sizes and the fact that they may or may not have been in the fridge made a MASSIVE difference. The app will work as a stop clock for you but will adjust based on all sorts of things. The one I have even adjusts for altitude because water boils at slightly lower temperature at altitude ;-)

Comment

Shortcomings? Me???

Nah, I'm just short.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                            Water temperature.

The proteins in whites start to set at 61C (142F) yolks at 65.5C (150F), so if you keep the water temperature at exactly 65C (149F) you will have a perfect soft boiled egg even if you cook it for half an hour.

There is another protein in the white that starts to set at 84C (184F), and when that is set is when the white is rubbery.

In other words, you're boiling it too fast, try simmering instead.
                            Smart-arris!
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                              Smart-arris!
                              Smart arris or not, that's it in an eggshell
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X