Driving Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Question

A group of family recently squabbled over the correct indicator procedure for Mitcham's Corner in Cambridge, when approached from Milton Road and with the intention of exiting along Victoria Road.

I would be very interested to hear your views on if/when/where you'd use your indicators.

I have attached a screenshot capture map with the route marked in red and arrows along the route indicating the direction of travel.

Cheers,
    F

The dubious whether to indicate joining the road?

Joining the Motorway
    The internet says yes here for a motorway and I spose the reasons hold true.

Comment

Assuming that you have already indicated & got into the right hand lane before the zebra crossing,the only time you would need to indicate your intention would be to traffic coming from your right at the T junction.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
        Assuming that you have already indicated & got into the right hand lane before the zebra crossing,the only time you would need to indicate your intention would be to traffic coming from your right at the T junction.
        The left lane of the Milton Road approach to Mitcham's Corner is a 24/7 bus and cycle lane which merges with the traffic just off the top of the screen to leave just the red cycle lane, so there is no lane positioning required in the approach other than where the road widens a little before having to give way to traffic from the right.
        Last edited by FB.; 31-12-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

In that case ^^ it will be at the T junction to indicate your intentions to any traffic coming from the right & also to any traffic behind you as well.
          Traffic from the right will only see a right hand indicator,but traffic behind will see both.

Comment

At that first junction...

... I'd definitely indicate right, to show drivers coming from your right that you want to get in the far lane to go round the island.

Not sure you need to anywhere else.
            Attached Files
            My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
              In that case ^^ it will be at the T junction to indicate your intentions to any traffic coming from the right & also to any traffic behind you as well.
              Traffic from the right will only see a right hand indicator,but traffic behind will see both.
              If you're signalling right at the T-junction to indicate your intention to vehicles behind you, should you be doing the same as you round the hairpin corner where the road again splits into two lanes? (the two lanes go to the second and third exit respectively)

Comment

I'd indicate right at Milton Road and keep the right indicator on until my exit at Victoria Road.

then I'd be indicating left.
                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 31-12-2013, 10:03 AM. Reason: added indicating left
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I would indicate right at the first T junction and that would be it because there doesn't appear to be any further lane changes.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    I'd indicate right at Milton Road and keep the right indicator on until my exit at Victoria Road.

then I'd be indicating left.
                    I suppose that would be logical; treating it as you would a right turn on a roundabout (and the road is arguably basically just a variation on a roundabout).

Comment

I might run an anonymous poll on this later.

Options so far appear to be (and I'll add more based on any further replies):

1. No signals.

2. Signal right at the T-junction before entering but no further signals required.

3. Signal right at the T-junction before entering and signal right again when moving into the right-hand lane rounding the hairpin bend.

4. Signal right at the T-junction and keep the right signal on until switching to a left signal immediately prior to exiting along Victoria Road (off the map in the upper left).

5. Other

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                        If you're signalling right at the T-junction to indicate your intention to vehicles behind you, should you be doing the same as you round the hairpin corner where the road again splits into two lanes? (the two lanes go to the second and third exit respectively)
                        No,not if you are in the the right hand lane & intend to stay in it,you are not changing carriageway so there is no need to indicate as you are going straight ahead (albeit a hairpin bend).

Comment

I wouldn't indicate at all. I don't think there's any need to

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by wellywoo View Post
                            I wouldn't indicate at all. I don't think there's any need to
                            That's what I recently did but my wife (who was in the passenger seat) promptly said she would have indicated on the approach and again on the hairpin.

Then it seemed as if everyone we asked had a slightly different opinion........

My wife is a more experienced driver because I prefer to cycle if the distance is only a few miles.
                            However, I am a very experienced cyclist who has cycled as many miles as many drivers have driven (exceeding 10000 miles per year in my prime), and if cycling around the Mitcham's Corner I would have indicated both times in the same way my wife would have done in her car.

Comment

I would also only indicate right when approaching the junction just to let the peeps on the insid lane know I'd be crossing over into the right hand lane.

We could do with a driving instructor on here!!!!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X