Johnty is alive and well

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by denise View Post
    Welcome back JG. been quiet on here! Glad you are better. How did Ofstd go? Better than ours i guess since i am redudant after August - due to down sizing! Is it your 1/2 term this week? Happy gardeing if it is.
    That's bad luck Denise!! Are you job hunting now then? That's the situation I find myself in currently; just finished a contract and have another lined up until the summer then tumble-weeds in September

JT - hope you're better. Glad ofsted have b*ggered off! Glad you're back!

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
      Welcome back JG. been quiet on here! Glad you are better. How did Ofstd go? Better than ours i guess since i am redudant after August - due to down sizing! Is it your 1/2 term this week? Happy gardeing if it is.
      Don't get me going on Ofsted. Over paid and over pompous people who have opted not to teach but to criticise and offer no positive ways forward - great.

Down sizing? Is that code for a falling roll? Last year this city closed 12 primaries (my son's being one of them - he now sits in my class as a reward). Hull's problem is that of many medium sized northern cities, people are moving out for 2 reasons

1. the perceived Nirvana of a place in the country
      2. the lure of streets paved with gold in the SE of England - did you know that 75% of the UK's population is expected to live in Southern England by 2020. Where will they put them all? Still they can all bugger off and leave this place to me and the foxes.
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Plenty more allotments for the rest of us then!

I like to visit Central London, but BOY - it's a different country!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
          Plenty more allotments for the rest of us then!

I like to visit Central London, but BOY - it's a different country!
          I lived there for 5 years or so (Streatham, Dulwich, Forest Hill, Brixton, Tooting, Balham, Camberwell). I worked in the city so I had a 7 mile trip in which was an hour and a half each way. So I took to the bike which nearly killed me on more than a few occasions.

I agree. Nice place to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
            Don't get me going on Ofsted. Over paid and over pompous people who have opted not to teach but to criticise and offer no positive ways forward - great.

Down sizing? Is that code for a falling roll? Last year this city closed 12 primaries (my son's being one of them - he now sits in my class as a reward). Hull's problem is that of many medium sized northern cities, people are moving out for 2 reasons

1. the perceived Nirvana of a place in the country
            2. the lure of streets paved with gold in the SE of England - did you know that 75% of the UK's population is expected to live in Southern England by 2020. Where will they put them all? Still they can all bugger off and leave this place to me and the foxes.
            Hi Jonty, I live in East Anglia (the farthest east you can go without getting wet feet) but I know exactly what you mean about people migrating South and East. Trouble is most of them aren't workers! They just want to live somewhere nice and carry on claiming benefits! Sorry, not PC but it makes me mad - I've worked all my life (and brought up 4 children) and I feel the state benefit system is just encouraging people to sit on their backsides!! Also if you are a genuine person in need of support, you try getting it!

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              Hi Jonty, I live in East Anglia (the farthest east you can go without getting wet feet) but I know exactly what you mean about people migrating South and East. Trouble is most of them aren't workers! They just want to live somewhere nice and carry on claiming benefits! Sorry, not PC but it makes me mad - I've worked all my life (and brought up 4 children) and I feel the state benefit system is just encouraging people to sit on their backsides!! Also if you are a genuine person in need of support, you try getting it!
              I am sure that the "system" will always be in need of overhaul/renewal/reform but I can't believe that being on benefit is any easier now than it was when I needed it in 1985. I know how "monitored" people on benefits are and what pressure thay are under to get jobs etc.

What "kinds" of people are you thinking about, and why should the system be pushing people S and E?

Comment

That's exactly what I mean Jonty, you needed it in 1985, I needed it in 1995 (for a brief period). Did you find it easy? I didn't. I believe we should have a benefit system as a safety net for people who, through no fault of their own, can't work. However here in Suffolk I personally know of people whose parents have never worked and don't intend to, their children are brought up thinking that the State owes them a living, so can't be bothered to look for work - SORRY, I'M ON MY SOAP BOX!

Comment

that happens everywhere rustylady, not just in suffolk.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    That's exactly what I mean Jonty, you needed it in 1985, I needed it in 1995 (for a brief period). Did you find it easy? I didn't. I believe we should have a benefit system as a safety net for people who, through no fault of their own, can't work. However here in Suffolk I personally know of people whose parents have never worked and don't intend to, their children are brought up thinking that the State owes them a living, so can't be bothered to look for work - SORRY, I'M ON MY SOAP BOX!
                    But what percentage of all benefit claimants are you talking about. Sure we've all met people like those you describe, b ut are they truly TYPICAL? Can we say that all benefit claimants are scroungers, no we can't.

Comment

Hi there Johnty
                      Nice to see you back. Was wondering if all was ok with you
                      Kirsty
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
                        Can we say that all benefit claimants are scroungers, no we can't.
                        My name is 2Sheds and I am a benefit scrounger.
                        I get four grand a year from the Govt, its a life of luxury I can tell you.My income goes straight to a private landlord; British Gas; Water companies; Council Tax; and Tesco!
                        I can't work full time (my back, neck and shoulders are f+++ed). If I had a council flat at cheap rent i could do paid part time work, but because housing is so expensive (no social housing for the likes of me) I can't afford to do it. therefore, I take my benefit money, and work for free as a volunteer.
                        Perhaps if rent was cheaper, more people would be able to get out of the poverty trap?
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

But there is a *reason* you're on benefits!!

My sister was on benefits for 4 years, she had cancer when she was 19 and although she recovered, her immune system was f***ed, her muscles had wasted, her lung capacity was shot and she had no energy. She could barely get out of bed and to the toilet, let alone any sort of work.

The whole time she was on benefits she hated it. She hated not having any money; but more than that, she hated the fact that her mind was up to a job, but her body failed her.

(Luckily, she's well again now and has just opened her own business at the age of 24!)

The people who can work but don't, who have millions of kids just for the money (why, I ask myself, why?) are the benefit scroungers....

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            My name is 2Sheds and I am a benefit scrounger.
                            I get four grand a year from the Govt, its a life of luxury I can tell you.My income goes straight to a private landlord; British Gas; Water companies; Council Tax; and Tesco!
                            I can't work full time (my back, neck and shoulders are f+++ed). If I had a council flat at cheap rent i could do paid part time work, but because housing is so expensive (no social housing for the likes of me) I can't afford to do it. therefore, I take my benefit money, and work for free as a volunteer.
                            Perhaps if rent was cheaper, more people would be able to get out of the poverty trap?
                            Thanks for this 2Sheds - too many of us talk from a place of theory.

Comment

is he back?
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Are you a mighty tigers supporter I am sure that Hull is buzzing at the moment with expectation, I know my household is!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X