No announcement yet.

Random Thought of the day...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any of them taste of Bread and Cheese?

Comment

• No, one tasted of diesel oil, but I blamed that on picking from lane side of the hedge...

Why should they taste of cheese & bread?
      Last edited by Mikey; 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

• Mikey.....

Bread-and-cheese | Plant-Lore
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• So they were called bread and cheese, because people who were too poor to have bread and cheese fed their kids on them?

They are pleasant enough, but no substitute to bread and cheese!!!

Comment

• My mum calls them bread and cheese too, and used to nibble them as a child.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• There was an article on that link Nicos about rose hips and the 2nd world war. As Vitamin C was in such short supply they used to pay children to collect rosehips to be made into syrup.

I often think that necessity generates action, there are loads of wild ingredients we can gather without any cost at all, but we don't because we can afford not to. I'm not sure what that says about me other than I'm really tight!!!

Comment

• Mikey, did you think I was joking about the bread and cheese
                Like MH's Mother, my Mum used to eat the leaves on her way to school and she told me about it

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Mikey, did you think I was joking about the bread and cheese
                  Like MH's Mother, my Mum used to eat the leaves on her way to school and she told me about it
                  I'd never heard of it before, so I wasn't sure what you meant. On the whole most were quite pleasant but it's helped me identlfy some I won't be picking later in the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    There was an article on that link Nicos about rose hips and the 2nd world war. As Vitamin C was in such short supply they used to pay children to collect rosehips to be made into syrup.
                    Ah, fond memories - I used to love that stuff. So who else had a teaspoonful every day through their childhood?

Attached Files
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Just watching a cookery programme m..........ch...f, and they used 'micro parsley leaves', maybe I could use my 'leggy coriander ' in the same way, or sell them for very high price to restaurant, good idea?
                      DottyR

Comment

There was an article on that link Nicos about rose hips and the 2nd world war. As Vitamin C was in such short supply they used to pay children to collect rosehips to be made into syrup.

I often think that necessity generates action, there are loads of wild ingredients we can gather without any cost at all, but we don't because we can afford not to. I'm not sure what that says about me other than I'm really tight!!!

Many, many years ago, and not during WW2, but when I was at Primary School, in the 50's,we used to have to 'collect' rosehips, they would be taken into school, and sent away to be made into something, assume rosehip syrup.

My mum wud never let me have it, it was incredibly sweet.
                        DottyR

Comment

• Being a totally random thought... I used to work for an International Freight company, and we used to send a lot of airfreight. The airway bill was 12 sheets (yes, 12!), all colour coded, but get this, there was a note that said the last two pages were not required so could be discarded!!! Go figure!!!

Zebedee
                          "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

• Not just random zebedee, but completely baffling. Whats an airway bill?, and is 12 sheets like when you've had a bit too much too drink?

I love random thoughts, especially when they wake you up at night, I get that a lot....
                            Last edited by Mikey; 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I collect rose hips from the nearby woods every year and make syrup. Have a sip every morning to ward off colds. Have no idea if it really helps but gives me an illusion of positive action . Mind you we collect loads of stuff, not really to save money (although that is nice) but cos you can't get those flavours easily otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• My OH this winter has had a bowl of granola, yoghurt with a table spoon of my elderberry syrup for breakfast every day and has not had a single cold. The OH works with germy kids all day so this has been a revelation for her. She would normally go from one cold to another but this year not even a sniff.

I think there are lots of things that our forefathers did that we turned our backs on as medicine and science took over. Some of these are slowly finding their way back into common usage like the elderberry, as science discovers that our forefathers were a lot smarter than they gave them credit for.

It reminds me of the old adage, 'When I was young I thought my parents new everything, as a teenager I believed they new nothing at all, but now I'm an adult I'm surprised by just how much they've learnt since I was a teenager!!!'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X