No announcement yet.

Green Deal free boilers.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had a look at the money saving expert page. We need a new boiler (I think the one we have is at least 30 years old). We would not be interested in a loan as we don't want to pay interest.
    So am I right in saying that we are only eligible for the cashback part of the deal?
    In which case we need to pay £120 for the Green Deal assessment to be done, in order to get £270 back (England)?
    Could we get an equivalent saving from just shopping around and getting the work done by a non-Green Deal installer (with a lot less paperwork)?
    Just wondering.

Comment

What I find annoying about the boiler scheme is the people who ring me all-the time. I wouldn't mind but not entitled to any help and my boiler is just over a year old so doesn't need replacing. Tried telling them but makes no difference, just leave it to the answer phone now.

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
        I just had a look at the money saving expert page. We need a new boiler (I think the one we have is at least 30 years old). We would not be interested in a loan as we don't want to pay interest.
        So am I right in saying that we are only eligible for the cashback part of the deal?
        In which case we need to pay £120 for the Green Deal assessment to be done, in order to get £270 back (England)?
        Could we get an equivalent saving from just shopping around and getting the work done by a non-Green Deal installer (with a lot less paperwork)?
        Just wondering.
        Overtime, and if you have the money to outlay, possibly yes.

My old boiler. ( apparently) was 60% efficient - so I was throwing away £40 for every £100 spent on gas use in a round about way.

My boiler cost 2.4k to install including the price of the boiler. It's something crazy like 99% efficient so I'll be saving £38 per £100 spent in comparison if the old boiler stat was accurate.

I have a recommendation for a decent green deal company though - no personal ties - if you wanted fair information from them.

Other option is looking into the affordable warmth/eco funding... But that is assessment based.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Veggielot View Post
          What I find annoying about the boiler scheme is the people who ring me all-the time. I wouldn't mind but not entitled to any help and my boiler is just over a year old so doesn't need replacing. Tried telling them but makes no difference, just leave it to the answer phone now.
          Are you registered with tps?

Did you get the company name?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
            Just wondering.
            Shop around with local installers. Ask neighbours who might have had work done recently who they used. Get lots of quotes and go with a good brand name boiler.
            There are some rubbish boilers out there and some very expensive boiler installers.

You need to know the make they're recommending (Get written quotes) and you can then look up info about it. Look for reviews - and any mentions of them being awful. The one we have here is known as a 'leakline' one - cos it is known for it developing leaks.
            Long guarantees are worth looking at.

Comment

Chris if you can flog me a boiler that 99% efficient I will have 20.

All new boilers with a very few exceptions must now be Band A boilers. The efficiency rating has to be between 90% & 91.3% to achieve this accreditation. Worcester Green Star CDi boiler are at the top end of that scale.

Solome,

Yes you could easily make the sort of saving your talking about by shopping round and doing a little homework.

First I would draw up a list of what you want i.e. what make and size of boiler, types of controls, system flushing and protection etc.

Make enquiries to find at least three recommended installers, check on the Gas Safe web site to make sure they are qualified to do the work. Then present them with your specification and ask for written quotations, that way they are all quoting for the same thing and comparison is easy. Don't forget to drop out to them all you are getting other quotes for the work, this will sharpen their pencil as we say.

One good tip is that if your prospective installer can come next week to do the job BIN him. Any decent installer will have plenty of work and would not be able to give that sort of lead time. My lead time at the moment is a month to five weeks.

If I can help in anyway give me a nudge.

Colin.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Chris

I used to be registered perhaps its run out. Don't know the name of the company, answering triggers a recorded message from which you have to pick an option. It obviously not smart enough to realise it is speaking to an answerphone so we miss the beginning of the message.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X