Legionella in compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legionella in compost

A recent study by Strathclyde University has found that up to 2/3 of compost brands carry Legionella. 6 cases of legionnaires disease have been identified as being caused by compost in Scotland with some ending up in ICU.

Dr Tara Bettie seem to think it may be that this has been caused by the move away from peat based products and the situation could get worse.

So peeps wear your gloves and wash your hands carefully, wouldn't want any of our members going down with this.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

and through breathing in the dust
    Two in intensive care after legionella outbreak linked to compost | Edinburgh & East | News | STV

Comment

Wear a mask too, since it is inhaling the dust that is the likeliest transmission mode. No smoking, you smokers, while handling the compost (hand to mouth). Damp the compost before using, to reduce dust.

Legionella longbeachae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Oh good grief!

..this gardening lark is becoming 'survival of the fittest!!!'

...or is that 'survival of the most lucky' ???
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ost_65674.html
          This has been rumbling around for a couple of years ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Oh good grief!

..this gardening lark is becoming 'survival of the fittest!!!'

...or is that 'survival of the most lucky' ???
            Or survival of the ones who don't use shop bought compost?
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Being near dripping hanging baskets may increase the risk too, according to studies in Oz:

"Results from an investigation into 22 cases of L. longbeachae infection in South Australia (SA) during 1988–1989, found cases were regular gardeners and a common feature of their gardens was the presence of ferneries with hanging baskets.
              L. longbeachae was subsequently isolated from cases' potting mix (which consisted mainly of composted pine bark), providing a plausible natural habitat for this bacterium."
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Bloomin Heck it gets worse.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Seen here is Mr Bill Harborne on his daily jaunt around his garden, Mr Harborne said "I find wearing all this gear deminshes my pleasure in the enjoyment of my garden but i have made one concession in that I have drilled a hole in the mask that my fag fits through".

Nowadays i tend to sit in the lounge and watch the gardening programs, it is so much safer.
                  Attached Files
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

There are millions of people gardening and a few will contract something along the way.
                    Every year in UK about 10 die of wasp stings, fewer catch legionnaires disease.
                    I feel sure that we are not going to get into a panic about wasps and bees.
                    So why all the fuss about something that will only affect a handfull of people?
                    Many will have suffered Pontiac Fever and not even realised, it's caused by the same pathogen.
                    If your fit and healthy you have little to fear - statistically that is.
                    "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

My brother's had legionnaire's; but then, we did work in the Middle East cleaning water tanks (among other things, including asbestos abatement).

A guy died of it before I left the country, from the sprinkler systems in a hotel. Clean your sprinkler system regularly...

Comment

I could have sworn I posted in this thread...but apparently not. You'll all be reassured that I'm still alive and legionella free. I think there's more risk if you are cleaning aircon units in large buildings.

I find that reasonable health, open air, and bluddy cold prevents most things.
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin2001 View Post
                          There are millions of people gardening and a few will contract something along the way.
                          Every year in UK about 10 die of wasp stings, fewer catch legionnaires disease.
                          I feel sure that we are not going to get into a panic about wasps and bees.
                          So why all the fuss about something that will only affect a handfull of people?
                          Many will have suffered Pontiac Fever and not even realised, it's caused by the same pathogen.
                          If your fit and healthy you have little to fear - statistically that is.
                          The fuss is because bees and wasps have been around for thousands of years, and yet only a few people per year die of stings - because most people take precautions so they are not stung.

The legionella longbeachae bacteria has only been found in the UK in the last 5 years, and lots of gardeners out there have never heard of it, so don't know to take precautions. Yes, most people can shrug it off, but those over 50, and/or with respiratory or cardiac conditions, and those who smoke, are more prone to becoming seriously ill.

In Australia, it has been found that awareness of the risk reduces the likelihood of infection, so the more people that know about it, the better, don't you think?
                          Last edited by mothhawk; 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM. Reason: grammar
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Nicely put MH, if you don't know (and I didn't) you won't take care.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X