Smug? Well, a little bit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smug? Well, a little bit

Is it just me? But do some of you feel a little but smug in the supermarket? "Do we need cucumbers mum?" Nope. "Tomatoes? Salad stuff?" Er no. "Radishes? Beans, peas?" Nope no. We don't need jam either. Lalala I bet some of you are like this in the washing powder section too! Come on admit it! All your hard work sometimes has a pleasing effect on the size of your grin and also the size of your purse!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Smug? All the time. I've been tempted at times to explain my lack of vegetables to the checkout lady. "Yes we do eat vegetables, but they are homegrown".

Comment

Yep,it certainly make you glow with pride,especially seeing the state of them with the price,plus home grown has everything going for it,and i am not ashamed to say,i have 2.5 plots,i often get asked,what things i grow,it's impossible to list them all,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I totally agree, this was our first year turning our garden into a 'personal lottie' and yes, we did walk past the veg dept, saying don't need that lol. Never gave it a thought what the checkout person would think though

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
        Nannys make memories

Comment

Haven't bought veg for ages, apart from some sweet red peppers to go with the homegrown chillies in chilli jam

Comment

I have an abundance of salad and stuff, my wife came back from shopping and guess what she brought, tomatoes cucumber and lettuce! She claimed she was in auto shopping mode. I went to the pub claiming I was in auto drinking mode.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Its like having a greengrocers in my own back garden menus are planned around what's ready to harvest then in winter theres less in the garden so we eat what we've frozen, bottled or in jars.

Plus it makes eating more than 5 a day easy.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I KNEW I wasn't the only one!
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Totally 100% agree. I dread to think how much I spend on compost, seeds and other stuff, but the satisfaction of not having to buy veg is immense; especially at the prices they charge for anything remotely out of the ordinary.
                  My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    I've been tempted at times to explain my lack of vegetables to the checkout lady.
                    Sometimes my weekly shop is just sweets ... £20 of sweeties for the Other Half. Proper food is either in the garden or the freezer
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I was harvesting rhubarb it was £2.00 for five sticks in the supermarket... yes I was smug and i'm still smug when I see the price of soft fruits, raspberries, blackberries and blackcurrants, £2.00 per tiny punnet in some places. Ive picked and bottled, pears and apples which are falling off the trees like crazy at the moment. Ive got toms, courgettes and cucumbers too.
                      I'm smug but its a nice smug if you know what I mean.
                      Lynne x

Comment

Plums - £2 a tray in Morrison's - plums at the plot, a bucket full for nothing! Damsons - £1 per pound advertised on side of road as I was coming home from work yesterday. There are so many at the allotment site that they can't be GIVEN away! Local food bank won't take fresh food ... I suppose I can understand why but it is still an awful shame. It is wonderful not having to buy tomatoes or cucumbers for months. And being able to give stuff to friends and neighbours. Gives me a warm glow!

Comment

I love that feeling, was in the super market on Saturday,completely bypassed the veg section. The OH said" Do we need any.... "
                          No.. It's at the plot.

Comment

I like it when the veg box people ring up and I can say - No thanks, I grow my own.
                            Of course, I don't tell them how pathetic my carrots and onions are - so please don't tell on me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X