Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

confused.com ( a question for grapes that know a thing or two about pooters!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused.com ( a question for grapes that know a thing or two about pooters!)

right here goes...............
    As some of you may know daughter is in OZ, now we've managed to speak to her on skype on fones but the screen is so small it's not ideal. My question is do we get a new laptop, tablet or ipad? and what is the difference between a 'tablet' and an ipad?

We only really use pooter to browse tinternet,fb,vine etc...(I have work laptop so tend to do banking etc on that).Would either a tablet or ipad be easy to speak to daughter on ?

To be honest I haven't got a clue!!!! so any feedback/advise would be really welcome

many thanks

MrsW

Gosh, the difference in opinions will be huge here!

I swear by my laptop for day to day stuff - it's got a lovely big 17" screen. The BH, on the other hand, would tell you to get an iPad - he's in love with his! Certainly the graphics knock spots off our cheap tablets, and he has an app for just about everything. The iPad has a camera that you can use both ways - so it's a webcam and a camera.

We both have tablets but, of course, the BH has abandoned his now. I use mine, but mostly for reading via Kindle. I don't really like these virtual keypads but the BH has no problems using one.

If you just buy one, will there be a fight over who uses it and when? I know that if we only had one device the arguments would be mammoth.
    Last edited by julesapple; 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

An iPad is a tablet. It will be either a 7" tablet or a 10" tablet made by/for Apple with their Operating System on it.
      Closest alternatives are the Nexus ones, again 7" or 10".

If you want to communicate AND see daughter then you need one with a foreward facing camera, otherwise the camera cannot see you to transmit to daughter.

Really comes down to cost, processor speed, memory and screen resolution, if going for a tablet. There is a new Nexus due out soon (very soon) that will most likely improve on the last one (which was good) and have more bells and whistles then an iPad.

Quite a few tablets come with installed software that you most likely don't want. Nexus is Google and uses Android and they tend to "load" up applications that "you must want/have" usually several games or advertising stuff. Apple I suspect are not as bad.

If you do not want it as a mobile phone then either get one which is wi-fi only or disable any 3G or soon 4G. Many connect and download assorted junk and it is at your cost.

If there is a PC World they have a selection in as does Tesco these days.

Ask about the new Nexus and the features/specification.

Suspect that a lap top would be the better option for what you describe, friend used to use one for exactly the same as you describe, communicationg, talking to and see family in Aus.
      Last edited by Kirk; 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
        right here goes...............
        As some of you may know daughter is in OZ, now we've managed to speak to her on skype on fones but the screen is so small it's not ideal. My question is do we get a new laptop, tablet or ipad? and what is the difference between a 'tablet' and an ipad?

We only really use pooter to browse tinternet,fb,vine etc...(I have work laptop so tend to do banking etc on that).Would either a tablet or ipad be easy to speak to daughter on ?

To be honest I haven't got a clue!!!! so any feedback/advise would be really welcome

many thanks

MrsW
        For the sole purpose of what you want to do, I would consider an Ipad to be an expensive purchase!
        You could look at a cheap Chromebook or a tablet with skype installed would also work...
        For example, the Nexus 7 ( I have a Nexus 7) or 10 would be considered a very good product at a very reasonable price when compared to some of its peers..As Kirk says, there is a new out around now in the US and will be here soon.........What that does mean however, is that the existing model (which is very good) is now being discounted heavily and can be got for a bargain price
        That's my tuppence worth
        Last edited by Tripmeup; 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM. Reason: extra info
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

many thanks for the quick replies, I had thought that for what we want it for an Ipad is a bit expensive. I'll look into the Nexus .

Comment

Its all gobbledygook to me too Mrs W - but I'm interested in the answers! Found this -
            Nexus 7 2 release date, price and specs | New Nexus 7 2 - PC Advisor

Comment

Has to be an iPad. I just love mine, use it all the time, doesn't cost anything to run, ( well unless you buy lot of Apps). It is connected up to mobile and PC so all photos are on all devices, and therefore easy to share.

I have son, and baby grandson in South Africa, so to easy just to connect with them via Skype, and other instant messaging. Just a great way to keep in touch

Email/ Internet, online banking, The Grapevine! Etc, Easy to use whilst doing other things (watching TV)

Why not have a look in PC world or similar

What the iPad mini?

DottyR
              Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM.
              DottyR

Comment

I thought a tablet was something taken with water but then I may be showing my age.
                My PC is connected to my 32" flat screen via a VGA lead (your TV will have to have a VGA port) & is superb. That coupled with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I can just sit on the sofa and browse in comfort. I just wondered if it may be a cheaper option to connect your PC to your TV.
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Can't you just get a webcam?

Comment

have just ordered a Nexus 7 - £159.00 from T****s!

Comment

do you have a state of the art tv as with the right cables that can be turned into a monitor

Comment

That's exactly what I've done.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thing is, with a tablet or iPad, it's so portable,pop it in handbag, take it on holiday, use the Kindle App, so you haven't got to lug heavy books around with you, use it on plane, look up fruit n veg recipes, for that glut of stuff from garden or allotment. No cables or leads, But I suppose it's also what you have already have, as devices need to be compatable ( I think)

DottyR
                          DottyR

Comment

I believe you also need wifi system. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                              ... use it on plane, look up fruit n veg recipes, for that glut of stuff from garden or allotment.

DottyR
                              hmmm (jealous eyes upon Dotty R's plot) A glut from your plot hhmm ... lucky *** :P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X