So much to organise!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much to organise!

Before Christmas I posted about being contacted regarding a teaching job in Kuwaite. It came to nothing, so this time round, when I was asked to go for interview for one in United Arab Emirates I didn't say anything. Not even when I had the interview last bank holiday Monday, and was given an initial offer the next day. I've now had the final offer, with the OK to tender my resignation in my current job , though I won't until the end of June probably.
    I have been really enjoying my council job, but it isn't very well paid, so this offer was tempting, even though it isn't as lucrative as the Kuwaiti offer. Anyway, I've now got to get things in order ready for me and OH to go to Abu Dhabi for 18th Aug.
    The house needs decluttering because even though son no2 is going to be living here, we are hoping to let one of the rooms to a couple of students (friends of his I've known since they were 11). There are a number of minor repairs needed as well, but he could organise/do those himself.
    My major wrench will be the garden and allotment. I'm intending to go for an apartment with a balcony, but won't be able to grow much, if at all. Son no2 is going to keep the plot going for me, with limited types of crops because he doesn't eat that many veg. Potatoes, onions, carrots and parsnips. I'm not sure yet what he'll do with the fruit next year, he did say he'd put a card in the window and sell it! I'm still going to plant my beans and squash plants tomorrow, but it seems weird to think I probably won't get to pick them, and no point putting in more beetroot or accepting the celeriac plants I've been offered.
    The other thing is, my seeds. I've got a large collection, but not much point in keeping them for 3 years I suppose. It will be like giving away my children, but I think it only fair to give them the chance to grow and fulfil their purpose in life, which is to be eaten. To that end, I will be taking some to our allotment seeds swap, but donating rather than swapping. I'll see if our group of vulnerable families who I've organised to work part of the community plot want any, and then send the rest to the VSP, and hope I can start again when my 3 year contract is up. Of course, if the visa falls through (and I won't know until I get out there and have the medical, why can't they do it here?), I will have made the sacrifice for nothing!
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Sounds like an amazing opportunity! Good Luck with everything

Comment

What SR said. Hope it all goes well for you! Bet you're really excited!?
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

and just a bit scared
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congratulations BS Its a lot to do in a short time but I'm sure you can do it!! Hope you'll be able to keep in touch with us

Comment

Congrats BS and good luck with de-cluttering.

I know you're done about those seeds but how about keeping some back until you return to the UK because all of us must have some in our seed boxes that are more than 3 year old, you never know yours might be viable when you return.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Why not donate to the VSP with an IoU for when you get back?

Well done, I couldn't up sticks and move to UAE.

Comment

Congrats Barley
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Good Luck!

Bean seeds can go 5 years easily and tomato seeds can go somewhere between 6-10 years with ease when stored well. I would keep some stored away...a lot of EU stupidity could make acquiring seeds more difficult three years from now.
                  Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 27-05-2013, 03:21 AM.
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                  Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                  tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X