Connecting a TV to a Broadband Hub

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting a TV to a Broadband Hub

Who can help me with a decidedly non-gardening query?

I have a lovely new Sony Bravia 32" TV, which (on reading the manual) seems to have a feature that means I can hook up to the net & receive iplayer type progs. Sorry, I'm a bit sketchy on the detail - why is it that appliance manuals are either the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica or printed on one side of a single piece of A5?

I'm keen on this idea, and seem to have three options -

1 buy a Sony USB wireless receiver thing to stick in the back of the TV to wirelessly connect to the Virgin broadband hub (about £40) - has to be Sony as it won't work otherwise, I don't think.
    2 run a really long ethernet cable between the TV and the hub
    3 buy a powerline adaptor which comes as two plugs - one you stick in by the tv & connect with a ethernet cable; and the other by the hub (connected ditto) and the two plugs use the ring main as a cable (if that makes sense).

Option 1 is shaky as the Sony dongle doodah has rubbish write ups as it is not reliable over distances over about 10' (and the tv & hub are in different rooms)
    Option 2 is a bit on the impractical side as the tv & hub are in different rooms
    Option 3 the gizmo I'm looking at is this one (TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)- and looks like a good move, assuming it works?

I'd appreciate the views of anyone who's had experience of this set up, and whether you think my option 3 is a good move.

Thank you, oh wise grapes!

Option3. My dad did this for his smart tv. Easy to do and works well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Ethernet over power is what I'd go too - but not for a pass through type device (those you've linked aren't - so fine). The only downside to them, is you "loose" a plug socket for only 1 cable (though, if more Ethernet cables were needed you could always plug in a switch (again means though it's using 1 more power socket)).

That said, I have my Sony TV working over wifi, and it's fine. Mine has built in wifi though, so can't commend on the USB wifi functionality. I also have another TV working over wifi in another room - and that's fine too.

Comment

We have the pluggy inny things (technical term here ) to distribute the network around the house and it works very well and we have never had any problems - cue for everything to go wrong about nowish .

We also have a usb wireless thing that plugs into a spare computer that is attached to the TV which also works well but then it is directly opposite and about 15 feet away from the box.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

OMFG! - I just can't wait for my Husband to discover you can do this!

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhh!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I paid £110 for (2 packs of 2) the slower 200mb version ones last summer Gutted how fast these dropped in price afterwards.

Certainly are a great piece of kit

Just checked, mine does have the passthroughs so I don't lose the socket for anything electrical. Maybe I paid a premium for those ones.
            www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

We have a Samsung tv with built in Wi Fi kept dropping out or buffering when watching long
              films via internet the wi fi signal is very poor upstairs
              Swapped over to cable solved all the problems.
              Bought a roll of cable and tools for £40.00 from ebay
              Did the whole house and have
              Two tv's and two AV's on cable no more buffering
              And the laptop works faster when plugged in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X