No announcement yet.

Peat free.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowadays I use New Horizons peat free and it always seems to be on 3 for price of 2! Must better than any of the varieties I've tried from B&Q and works out cheaper with the special offer.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      Seems like cheap peat-free is still pretty rubbish,
      I'm using Aldi peat free at the moment: it's 8p a litre (B+Q Verve PF is 4.8p), but is very fine, AP would like it. No lumps.

I've also been gifted a bag of J. Arthur Bowers (not peat free) and it's lumpy as hell. Full of big old lumps of fence.

My leafmould isn't ready, so I'm mixing Starbucks coffee grinds into my potting compost. It's working well.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        I'm using Aldi peat free at the moment: it's 8p a litre (B+Q Verve PF is 4.8p), but is very fine, AP would like it. No lumps.
        I used a bag of that last year - nothing would germinate in it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't (by chance) used the last of the NH bag in one tray of peas, then the new bag of Aldi PF in another. Same seed, same trays - 28 out of 30 peas germinated in the one tray, none in the other.

Comment

Can't/Dont/Won't the RHS or some other body look into this? You get the AGM on seeds, why not apply that to compost as well?

Comment

I decided this year I would get the right compost for the job, seed compost for seedlings, and multipurpose for stronger plants. I mix these with my own chicken compost and some ash from the fire, all seems happy at the moment.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I've found mixing a little blood, fish and bone into NH compost makes a huge difference. Last year plants were running out of nutrients fast and just stopped growing when still very small. I experimented with the sweetcorn, adding a little to some and not others. The difference was huge. Shouldn't have to add nutrients but if you choose peat free then you have to make adjustments.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, SL.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                  I used a bag of that last year - nothing would germinate in it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't (by chance) used the last of the NH bag in one tray of peas, then the new bag of Aldi PF in another. Same seed, same trays - 28 out of 30 peas germinated in the one tray, none in the other.
                  I struggled with various makes of peat free last year, seedlings dying etc plus mature toms and chillies planted with it mixed into the soil grew distorted leaves that looked like melted wax. From photos found on the net I had probably encountered the herbicide clopyralid (used as a lawn herbicide) which is so strong 0.03ppm can affect a tom plant. All affected plants slowly twisted themselves up until they died.
                  Last edited by Mr Bones; 05-04-2013, 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling Clopyralid
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
                    You get the AGM on seeds, why not apply that to compost as well?
                    compost recipes are changeable though, each year seems to have a differing mix of "stuff", eg. New Horizon has usually been brilliant for me, but last year's was awful

Comment

so what are we going to do this year, team? NH with added nutrients? Is consensus that Vital Earth is worse than NH? And Verve does contain peat, I think. GAH what to do? (also, Grapes, do you believe seed compost is worth the investment?

Comment

There is a Verve peat-free but it didn't have good reviews last year.B&Q - Verve Peat Free Compost 60 Litres customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
                        I'm not convinced about seed compost - just another bag to store - so I use MPC of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                          Thanks for the tip, SL.
                          Y welcome

I've never used seed compost, waste of money imo. I'll be sticking with NH, it's the best of a bad bunch and by adding nutrients I'm happy with the results. I tried Vital Earth and found it dreadful. Basically wood chippings. I also tried YHS (Yorkshire Horticultural Supplies) which I had loads of trouble with, but that could have mean me. The texture of it was lovely, but I couldn't get stuff to germinate, possibly but not definitely, due my shoddy watering methods. I'd give it another go but I haven't seen it in ages. Don't even know if they exist any more either.

Comment

It was B&Q Verve peat free that started this thread. One word 'junk'.

Potty
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

why dont you try mixing the peat free with 1 of soil 2 of peat free and 3 of course sand and add what ever feeding you require

Comment

Originally posted by iam View Post
                                why dont you try mixing the peat free with 1 of soil 2 of peat free and 3 of course sand
                                ... because my soil is always too sandy, and soil is full of weed seeds
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X