What should rural homes look like?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Here is my tuppenceworth.

Before I became a teacher, I worked in another career as a construction engineer, so know a fair bit about planning regulations.

Despite popular belief, planning regulations are actually more to do with the structural integrity of a building. Basically they are there to stop some pillock putting up a ramshackle shed that will fall down on someone, and has been designed by somebody that actually knows how to put up a structure that will stand up when the wind blows, snow falls, or both happen at the same time (each of these created different stress levels on a structure and can lead to building materials behaving quite differently than their intended use).

I would seriously doubt whether some bloke off the street would be able to satisfy the conditions of the relevant design codes without help. That is why there are professional bodies for architects, builders, engineers and similar lines of work.

For those that think it is great, ask yourself this question: would you buy it for a couple of hundred grand? Nah, thought nor. Why is that? Probably because the guy is not a professional, doesn't have certification (the guarantees that the house is in a fit condition.

Why a couple of hundred grand? Well, it is what I paid for a 2 bedroom mid terraced house last year. I know that the house was actually built for between 40 and 50 grand plus the land value, which is not that much more than this guy has spent
    Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

If you follow someone else's plans, that have worked out all of those things, then why should you/would you pay someone else to do the exact same thing? The couple of hundred thousand paid in the normal housing market isn't real, it's artificially inflated, and had little to do with whether this man's house is safe or not.
      Neither do planning laws or building regs prevent unscrupulous building companies from cutting corners and building unsafe houses; my OH worked on building sites for a few years as a tiler and we would NEVER buy or live in a new build that we hadn't been in charge of ourselves...

Comment

At the end of the day this person knowingly ignored the law of the land & deserves to be punished accordingly.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
          At the end of the day this person knowingly ignored the law of the land & deserves to be punished accordingly.
          Surely that would be up to a judge?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Surely that would be up to a judge?
            After along and costly trial paid for by...........us!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
              After along and costly trial paid for by...........us!
              This is just the same as doing it and asking questions or paying the consequences later. If you ask the question the answer is invariably 'no'. So just do it and see what happens...quite often what happens is nothing.

Comment

As far as I can see it has already been judged by his local council & he has been found to be at fault,hence the instruction to demolish the illegal structure.

Comment

In planning matters, the developer (Charlie) will put in a retrospective planning application. If the Planning Authority refuse consent or allow the building to stand but with conditions, the developer can appeal to the Welsh Assembly for the planning application to be considered by a Planning Officer who will determine it on its merits and having regard to the views of all parties concerned. The developer will be expected to abide by that decision whatever it may be. If not enforcement action will be taken.
                  There is no trial.

Comment

I'm applying for a retrospective parking ticket for the meter after I got a fine... oh hang on it don't work that way. You know that them greedy councils, the cheek to pay for parking! All I wanted was to park on a blind bend and run quickly into the shops ( oh 'eck that's dangerous!) Oh yeah, the parking costs pay for the amenities, and the parking on a blind bend's for safety....

Personally, anyone who asks to be in politics should be banned for life! I disagree with loads, but there's a way to approach this and there's a way not to. It's currently illegal whether we like it or not, whether we think the system is corrupt or not is irrelevant.

Follow due process and if you disagree with the process, there's a process to be followed to voice that too. If enough like minded people agree, it will change, that's what the process is for.

On a wholly personal note, I like the house
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Women who wanted the vote and fought for it frequently broke the law of the land, but what they fought for was just. If it takes people breaking the law to achieve what we should have anyway, ie planning laws and building regs that allow for sustainable and cheap to build houses that can be achieved by individuals and blend with the landscape, then so be it, and more power to their elbow. Future generations may just thank them as we do Mrs Pankhurst.

Comment

I love the look of the house, but I to have been in the building trade an awful long time.

Would I sleep in it knowing it had been erected by an amateur no way, not a chance. Not until a structual engineer had given it the all clear.

As to the usefullness or not of the planning regulations.

I am your neighbour, my land adjoins yours at the bottom of your garden. Without regard to anyone I build a three storey black of flats on the boundary over looking your garden. I think you would find the regulations quite useful then.

Potty
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

You're not comparing like with like... And in fact the 3-Storey building at the bottom of the garden would be much more likely to get planning permission as several round here have recently, because that's the way the system is set up.

Comment

I love these type of posts! Love em....such varying viewpoints and such steadfast views....brilliant!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Sarah, I know its not like for like that was not the point. The point was and still is we cannot choose when we want to obey the law of the land and when we do not.

What I cannot understand is why the gentleman concerned did not apply for planning permission in the first place.

There may well be more to this than meets the eye.

And I still love the design of the house.

Potty
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

So will you be equally as happy if a plot holder at your allotments adopts the same cavalier attitude to the site rules ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X