No announcement yet.

Any 'guerilla gardeners' on here?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whereabouts are you Kirk? Sounds lovely, i'm going to be doing a bit of guerilla-ing, or maybe i'm not? Anyone advise on which seeds'll be best, even though i'm not a guerilla?
    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Another lone guerilla gardener here, planting bee friendly flowers and apple pips.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I think the correct answer for people posting here is "Who me officer? No not me."

Did we all read about Johnny Appleseed when we were kids?
        Johnny Appleseed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I have a large quantity of poppy seeds.
          I usually carry an old spice jar(with sprinkler) with me
          Some times poppy seeds can lie without germinating for years.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
            Another lone guerilla gardener here, planting bee friendly flowers and apple pips.
            think it was the Co-op who were giving away packets of bee friendly seeds a few years back. A crafter who came to our fairs gave us about 50 packets.

I was at a bit of a loss as to where to sprinkle them, but a journey to Northamptonshire via the back roads soon solved that! I hope they all grew.

BW I had a spectacular poppy grow in a tub in my garden. I have no idea how it got there - possibly via a bird. But it was a double frilly thing in shades of deep pink and mauve. It never reseeded itself and I'm rubbish at growing them for some reason.
            Last edited by zazen999; 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM.
            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Ancee, I am down in Cambs/Herts, actually that part of both that also boarders Beds as well. What happens is I have a 12v car kettle. So I travel down to Devon/Cornwall and stop after a few hours to make a coffee and stretch legs.

I often take an apple or two (convenient package) and eat one waiting for the water to get hot, any pips gets dropped into a small shallow hole. I do tend to grab an apple that is sort of non-standard supermarket. Farm shop varieties are often a bit different.

Found out that lemons are actually quite tolerant of cold, so as said may try a few of them on a couple of the Cornish/Devon laybys. The newish bit of the A30 between Honiton and Exeter are a prime target.

Makes you wonder if plums work as well.

Used to work in Holland, Alkmaar was one place and they planted fruit trees along the pavements, late summer the trees were full of apples, plums, cherries etc, sort of pick your own when you got off the train. Never saw it anywhere else.

The council is N Herts and a few years back an extension of the A505 was done. It was cut into a hill so all the banks were wild flowered, and there are some big banks. Then all the small roads that the new section cut through were put back and all the verges extended and these also planted up, finally roundabouts to connect everything, these tend to be reasonably big and about 2 ft high, the edge is angled brickwork and the top is grass. So they wild flowered these as well. Someone realised that each 30 foot diameter roundabout could have its own variety of wild flower.
              Last edited by Kirk; 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I often wondered how the apple trees came to be next to roads! It was you haha! Every year we drive past tonnes of apples on trees by the roadsides, it seems a pity that a lot of them go to waste as some roads are far too dangerous to stop on to go scrumping
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

The A10 from Cambridge southwards has some fair sized laybys on it and there are quite a few apple trees at some of them. Always a good crop as there seems to be at least 3 different varieties. I collected some last year to make an apple wine from. Only cost me the sugar and a pack of yeast.

Whoever planted the ones I got the apples from had to have put in trees as they are not a discarded apple that has grown. Too high up the bank and fairly evenly spaced. One was a nice pearmain variety.

Best I have seen around me is on a large roundabout under the A1. There is a very prolific apple tree at one but also 4 lanes of traffic going round it. So not somewhere to stop and grab a few.

Comment

There are apple trees in town that have been planted as street trees. It's great. Love that and don't know why they don't do it anymore.
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Sounds a good idea to plant apple trees in an area people can forage. I once heard that blackberry seeds were scattered on wasteground after WWII to increase the vitamin C intake of the nation.

It's not really guerilla but I live in a council block and I started planting tomatoes and marigolds in a bit of the communal garden that was just bare soil. I've since had informal permission from the gardeners and added in a gooseberry bush and a strawberry plant. But now I've got 21 poles of allotment, I probably wont have time and might sprinkle wild seeds down there.
                      http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Recently moved and we have an area of commonland along side our house that's a bit scrubby and unloved. We've planted an edible hedge along one side for the birds and I'm planning on sticking in some native bulbs at some point!
                        Have already been told off by the local farmer who said they council would come and rip it up!!
                        Just smiled sweetly at him!
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

As I keep bees, guerilla gardening with high nectar/pollen plants is a must.

Some of course are beautiful and grow wild and do not need to be sown as they do it themselves - eg Himalayan Balsam. So I don't plant that.

But borage, opium poppy, sunflowers etc are all game in early spring on my morning runs or walks.

The advantage of early morning planting is no-one is awake enough to see.

Our local sewage disposal plant has approx 5 acres of derelict land adjacent to it - and no-one will build due to the smell so it's ideal..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X