Anyone understand phones?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Can anyone explain why my telephone line is dead but broadband isn't?
    We get that quite a lot. It's been a fault in the box outside: water was getting in to the cables
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
      Nothing from BT but the phone is working again Just waiting to see when/if they contact me

Comment

If it like mine the engineer will leave a message on the answerphone
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I've had an email asking for a contact number they can reach me on in the next 4 hours. Another question for you. Where is the boundary of your property I would say it is the roadside, but their wire is airborne at that point. Do they mean the outside wall of the house?

"although most engineer visits are free, you may be charged for the visit if:
          · The fault is inside the boundary of your property or with your equipment,
          · You have damaged part of BT’s network, or
          · The engineer cannot find any fault at all when they are there.

Comment

BT are responsible for all cabling upto the master socket, beyond that its down to you.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Offer them a cuppa tea, be friendly and a couple of biscuits and most faults are covered. The power of friendly customers is amazing.

Comment

Thanks Mikey. I like to be ready with my answers!
                I've already covered the "Would you like a cuppa?" scenario and I have milk!!! No biscuits though
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-02-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

In theory if a tree within your boundary pulled down the cable it would be your responsibility. Don't fret though tea is the universal payment.

Comment

A slice of cake works too, its much cheaper than a £100 odd call out charge.

Comment

There's a common theme here for all scenarios, boilers, leaks, doors, all workmen like refreshment. They talk about customer with regard to how generous and friendly they were. Fresh eggs are also really good currency.

Grumpy gets you nothing, friendly banter works wonders. We are all human, we like to help others if we can. We don't like to help rude people, simples.

I can vouch for VC, she is very good with the tea.

Comment

I also show them where the toilet is - just in case they're desperate!

Comment

If she like's you she'll even let you out again!!

Comment

So then they ring on my mobile while I'm cleaning the bathroom with very wet hands. Dry hands, find phone, press various bits hoping that someone will answer - no they've rung off - but there's a message. Its a foreign lady who speaks so quickly it would be kind to say she was gabbling - she'll send me an email. The emails arrives - try testing your line yourself after watching 6 minutes of helpful video which advises me to plug a corded phone into the hidden socket (Done that thanks to Hazel and BB).
                            The phone is working again now so what do I do? - wait until it happens again and go through the rigmarole again. I'm too busy tomorrow to give up another day.
                            BUT I'm not Grumpy!!!

Comment

So then they ring on my mobile while I'm cleaning the bathroom with very wet hands. Dry hands, find phone, press various bits hoping that someone will answer - no they've rung off - but there's a message. Its a foreign lady who speaks so quickly it would be kind to say she was gabbling - she'll send me an email. The emails arrives - try testing your line yourself after watching 6 minutes of helpful video which advises me to plug a corded phone into the hidden socket (Done that thanks to Hazel and BB).
                              The phone is working again now so what do I do? - wait until it happens again and go through the rigmarole again. I'm too busy tomorrow to give up another day.
                              BUT I'm not Grumpy!!!
                              Just a little techy maybe

Potty
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

BUT I'm not Grumpy!!!
                                Methinx the lady protesteth too much . Anyways, as I said, it's the admitting it that is the difficult bit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X