Sponsored experts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    Out of curiosity where are the announcement threads/posts in terms of navigation? The path for that says 'Forum' -> 'Announcements -> It's finally here, the Grow Your Own Experts forum!' but when I look on the main forum page I can't see an 'Announcements' section.

Ah - I see it's at the top of the new section.
    Last edited by vikkib; 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM.
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      And peeps - it's not like we've never seen an ad before.
      Absolutely but the ads on the Vine, up 'til now, have been very clearly demarcated. It's just quite a big change of style and tone to have ads worked into the actual text of the threads.

But as has been said we'll have to give it a chance and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
        Absolutely but the ads on the Vine, up 'til now, have been very clearly demarcated. It's just quite a big change of style and tone to have ads worked into the actual text of the threads.

Vikki, it's hard to miss the advertising on Carbon Gold's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post

The writer is very clearly demarcated and I meant we have all seen ads in all sorts of places before. TV, films, magazines, internet, billboards - they are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            And the huge banner that goes with it.

Comment

Indeed it is RL,but as I said in another thread,rather than making a simple negative comment,balance it with a bit of constructive criticism.

Personally I find that amount of text a bit overwhelming & would prefer it if it was just his company banner & any Admin approved titled hyperlinks,that said at the end of the day we get this marvelous resource free of charge but someone somewhere pays the bills & if a bit of text helps keep the books balanced then so be it
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I'm obviously the only person that's not seen it then. Will go and have a look.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I didnt comment on the new soil expert post, It did seem to me a bit ' whats the best thing to put your seeds in?...... our stuff is!'

I did however click the link and have a look, TBH i think i'll stick to cheap and chearfull seed compost for small seeds and sifted general purpose for larger ones.

I do think had the expert took the oppurtunity to use the 'introduce yourself' section with just a brief... hi, this is me, this is what i do, this is who i represent, this is what i'm going to be doing here.

It may have been better received.

Hopefully the advertising/advice balance will work, I hope so, - I need all the help I can get!
                  <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I'm obviously the only person that's not seen it then. Will go and have a look.
                    OK, have seen the thread now. It's not something I'd buy as I get perfectly good results with normal multi purpose which is nice and cheap so it's not really a thread in which I have any interest. Some people like buying stuff like that and that's great, the original post is clearly flagged as a commercial poster so don't really see the problem - but as I say, I'm still not buying the stuff

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                      Indeed it is RL,but as I said in another thread,rather than making a simple negative comment,balance it with a bit of constructive criticism.
                      It wasn't intended as a negative comment BB. I was merely pointing out to Vikki that the advertising was obvious as she seemed to think that the advertisements would be wording within the posts or replies.

Comment

I was merely pointing out to Vikki that the advertising was obvious as she seemed to think that the advertisements would be wording within the posts or replies.
                        Yes, sorry, I didn't make it very clear . You're right, the advertising in Carbon Gold's post is clear.

I think it was a bit of a shock to see the initial post from Carbon Gold (which, as people have already said, did come across as an advert and the sort of post we're encouraged to report to the mods) without any introductions or warning.

I didn't see the announcement about the new boards when I went to have a look, I thought I saw a post from a someone yesterday which said there had been a mistake and the announcement should have been posted first but I can't find that now, probably just my inept searching abilities!

I meant more that it is quite a big shift to have people that have been awarded expert status as a result of paying for advertising participating in the forums and who will be allowed to promote their products in their posts.

I'm not saying they aren't experts in their field and I'm sure they will fully and actively participate in the discussions on the forum and offer lots of helpful advice and respond to people's queries and questions like the one's that have already been posted on the Soil Expert board.

We all have people on the Vine that we consider to be experts, people with no commercial interests and some with, who put in a lot of time and energy to try and help others and whose input feels genuine and heartfelt. Hopefully, given time, the new 'sponsored experts' will come to feel more like a part of the vibrant Vine community and they will build up their credibility by offering genuine advice, answering questions and engaging with us.
                        Last edited by vikkib; 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

As posted else where I know not who wrote the experts opening blurb. But to poor little me it just sounded like 'you poor amateurs will be OK now the cavalry has arrived'. Just Bl**dy big headed.

Colin
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

To be honest I think you acted 'spot on' for responding to a spammer or troll- and we really appreciate your back up with any potential troublemakers!
                            ..so don't worry- this has already been explained to the Experts!

Unfortunately- as Chris mentioned, it would have been nice if we'd all been forewarned about this- we too were taken by surprise..and we're still busy making sure things go more smoothly in future.

We all come here for a bit of company, advice, a bit of a laugh from time to time...and we still intend the Vine to be a homely place to visit....so...enjoy!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Maybe an introduction from the next expert would be nice Nic............
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                Maybe an introduction from the next expert would be nice Nic............
                                Already suggested!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X