Any vegans out there?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rabbit View Post
    Two sheds, you can actually buy vegetarian oyster sauce and a very similar mushroom sauce in the chinese supermarket, so you can make your own or just ask nicely if they use a vegetarian version.
    Gosh, I never thought about asking nicely for a vegetarian version ! *honestly* *rolls eyes*

If I'm going to a Chinese restaurant, I don't expect to have to make, or take, my own dinner. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-02-2013, 09:33 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I never thought of making my own tofu! Brilliant. We do have a good Chinese market not far away and they make fabulous tofu, but I'll be giving this a go.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Gosh, I never thought about asking nicely for a vegetarian version ! *honestly* *rolls eyes*

If I'm going to a Chinese restaurant, I don't expect to have to make, or take, my own dinner. Thanks anyway.
        I clearly mean at home, I don;t think a restaurant or takeaway would let you make your own in the professional kitchen. Keep your smiley, I'm finding you quite antagonistic with all the eye rolling and sarcasm. I don't care what you eat or like, I'm just participating in a thread about something I'm interested in. My suggestions aren't supposed to be patronising, I;m just trying to keep the tone upbeat and positive.
        Last edited by rabbit; 17-02-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rabbit View Post
          Meat stuffed tofu and tofu and meat dishes are legitimate chinese dishes though, not b@astardised veggie versions! You have to be specific when you order.
          That's as may be but the Chinese guy we were with had been very clear to the guy who owned the place and when questioned afterwards he told him that he had felt that he wasn't being hospitable enough by not providing meat and so had basically chosen to ignore the request therefore the dish was, in effect, b&stardised although with good (but misunderstood) intention. This wasn't in the built up areas but the places we were eating at / staying in were basically people's houses, if you went to the loo you were using the family bathroom, such that it was in some cases.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Another vegan over here

Comment

• I'm glad I started this thread - there have been so many helpful comments and tips from you peeps Thanks guys When I first decided to cut out animal fats I was concerned that there wouldn't be much to eat! How stupid was that! Now I'm finding so many interesting flavours and dishes to eat that I might never have tried otherwise.

But does anyone make LOW FAT Soya Yoghurt? And if so how do you go about it please? I eat lots of yoghurt and I can only find full fat ones in the main supermarkets. (Free From and Alpro in T*sco for example). I already have an electric yoghurt maker.
              Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

• I wish I could answer that - I'm on slimming world for being a lard arse and yogurt is a no-no unless I plan it into meals carefully...wish they would make low fat vegan stuff, I guess the presumption is that we are all underweight lentil lovers

I'm a few stone overweight, purely down to being able to cook really, really well - I can 'veganise' anything. I had lasagne (with white sauce and everything) last week, chocolate cupcakes, biscuits, tuna mayo (kinda worked). Only problem is, cooking like this, there are no low fat options. But oh well I will just limit such things

Comment

• How do you veganise tuna mayo? There seem to be a lot of adjustments you'd need to make for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                    I wish I could answer that - I'm on slimming world for being a lard arse and yogurt is a no-no unless I plan it into meals carefully...wish they would make low fat vegan stuff, I guess the presumption is that we are all underweight lentil lovers

I'm a few stone overweight, purely down to being able to cook really, really well - I can 'veganise' anything. I had lasagne (with white sauce and everything) last week, chocolate cupcakes, biscuits, tuna mayo (kinda worked). Only problem is, cooking like this, there are no low fat options. But oh well I will just limit such things
                    Yes, I think this must be the case - I've looked everywhere for a Soya Low Fat yoghurt but can't find any - that's why I thought I'd make my own. Do you think it would be ok to use ANY Soya yoghurt just as an initial starter? (Am I being dull here? Does it matter?)

Comment

• You need a live yoghurt as a starter. I've no idea about soya yoghurt sorry.

Comment

• LL here's an older thread about yoghurt and it mentions making it using soya milk.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_55089.html
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I've done a tuna mayo before. Was something like chick peas, pepper, paprika and vegan mayo. Wasn't bad, but didn't taste much like tuna.
                          http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

• Thanks Bren. I've now googled and found instructions:

Making Soya Yoghurt

They also mention making soya cheese as well

Comment

• Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                              wish they would make low fat vegan stuff, I guess the presumption is that we are all underweight lentil lovers
                              Buzzingtalk - I've found this vegan cooking site - all low fat and written by Susan Voisin. Have a quick look - you might spot something interesting on there:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com
                              Last edited by ladylottie; 15-03-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• I am a pescatarian. I do not eat meat, but I do eat fish and eggs, milk, etc. as well. I stopped eating meat about three years ago. To be honest, it was a health based decision. I do not know if I am the only pescatarian here.
                                http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X