No announcement yet.

What would you/could you take?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I think we are all on the same page about what's really, really important.....but then you're sitting in the woollies (sainsbury's) carpark discussing buying knickers and socks, and chapstick....

There's emergency and then there's living while you're waiting.

It's very intersting to say the least.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I really feel for you Feral. What would you take? is an abstract question for most of us, you have faced it.

Beyond the obvious of get family and animals to safety, I honestly don't know what I'd grab. Insurance documents would be sensible, family photos might matter more, but I'd hate to lose all my carefully collected obscure books.
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Seahorse, my son didn't take any of his books because he said....well you just can't take one or two.

I left my grandmothers old books as well. Memories are good really.

Anyway just a quick update:

Had some rain last night. Not enough to totally fix us. But the firies got to go home for the night.
        We might go home in a day or so. If it''s still looking good.
        Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Bet the firies are relieved to have a night off and sounds very positive to me on the opposite side of the world. I do hope you can go home soon - eyes crossed for you

Comment

Many years ago, when we were dating, me and Mr R awoke (just, we'd been breathing smoke for an hour and took ages to come round) to find a room downstairs was on fire. With immense stupidity, I tried to put the fire out for a few minutes (I'd never dream of doing that now!) and we both ran into the street. I think one of us must have grabbed a mobile to call the fire brigade, but we didn't bother taking anything else.

A few years later, we were camping near Margaret River in WA, and awoke to find a bushfire had stopped about 20 metres from our tent. Had it not burned out when it did, I rather think we wouldn't have grabbed anything that time either...

Glad you're okay Feral - hope you get home soon.
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I'm home!

Photos etc still at friends house. Have the dogs and cats here. Might think about bringing the chooks home soon.

We have two really hot mean days coming up. So I'm loathe to bring the horses home yet. But it's going to become a real pita to get them home if we leave it too late.

It just looks totally normal here. Then again after those huuuuuuuuuuge plumes of smoke went across the horizon above our back trees (kilometres away but massive) after they went thru in about 10 minutes, there was nothing to see. If we hadn't been here we would not have known it was past us.

So most of me is going, yep, we're all good. And just a tiny little bit of me is going..........where's that fire now? It's almost out. But there are areas where it might flare up. But it shouldn't be a problem.
              We have been feeding the firies here at the hall. I've been helping to shop in town. 80 ripe bananas - nearly spiflicated that woman who took 3 whilst I was counting the beggars out - who knew bananas weigh so much? 3 kilo's of sandwich ham. 30 loaves of bread.....we had 4 trolleys of food and that was just for one day, and they are catering on the other side of the fire as well.

We have the RAFT people here now - Remote Area Fire Teams. They hack their way thru with hand tools.......eeeeew ahhhhh. And they are very pretty some of them, so I hear! No photos sorry, altho I might be off to help at the hall now that I'm back!

Wonder if our Firies will be better than your pompi......omg I can't spell them! Whatever - are our aussie firies (male and female) a match for the frenchies?
              Ali

Comment

Fantastic news Glad to see that the rainbow has appeared over Feral -land at last.
                I'm sure the Aussie firies would give the Pompadoms some stiff competition in the calendar stakes Send 'em over (the men) and we'll judge

Comment

Would you qualify as Remote Area tho VC?
                  Ali

Comment

I can be very remote when I want to be They could come to the Wood to show me their credentials - its quite isolated and private

Comment

I'd be afraid they might hack some of the wood tho VC - I might have to do the heroic thing and just keep them here.............mind you, I shall be keeping a very close eye on my 15 yo daughter when we're helping out at the hall tomorrow evening!
                      Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X