No announcement yet.

Shameful isn't it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to remember that as a member of a grow your own forum, my jumping off point for food use/waste will be different to my friends who don't have the same passion for growing and preserving. So whilst I may do things differently, I try not to get too pearl-clutchy and judgemental about other people's food choices/habits. I think most people mean well, and might respond to a gentle nudge in the right direction. It's a very serious issue, and I hope that things will move in a similar direction to recycling, in that only 'cranks' bothered a few years ago; now most people and institutions recycle to a degree.

On the 'blame the parents' argument..., parents can grow all their own organic food; raise free range meat, bake their own bread etc., and STILL have dreadful children who crave fish fingers and Monster Munch until they're almost teenagers. Ask my parents...
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Binley - my son went to Denmark this year. One of the stories he came back with (apart from the one where he went into the local shop and bought a bottle of cider - 'because he could' -he's 15!) was that in Denmark cucumbers are curled!
      Curly cucumbers? No Way! I had to explain EU directives to him, and also explain that they tasted no diffeernt etc. (The cucumbers we grow never actually get the chance to get to be curly as we eat them!)
      You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

I used to work with someone who would not eat ANYTHING past it's sell by date, and even the day before she'd look at it funny. Even with fruit and veg. I don't think I've ever checked the use by date on fruit/veg once and don't understand why you need one. If it's furry it's past its use by, if not just get it on my plate!
        http://ecoprincess.blogspot.com

Comment

I eat overripe bananas - they are better than green ones - and cheaper.

As someone in charge of recycling .. we waste very little food.

What is not eaten is chilled and recooked - or eaten next day (does not happen very often.

I eat apples, core and all - draw line at the stalk only.. Great roughage ..

From what I see most people don't plan and frankly looking at supermarket trollies, I see fatties drinking fizzy drinks and eating pies. LOTS of them

More money than sense. They need to have less money.

I was brought up by parents who lived through WW2 and rationing.

Seems it would do lots of people a great deal of good.. and save them loadsofmoney.
          Last edited by Madasafish; 14-02-2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
            I eat overripe bananas - they are better than green ones - and cheaper.
            I only eat the nice overripe ones and usually they are only pennies at the greengrocers, I just hope they don't come wise and up the price.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Why is it ok to eat blue cheese like Bleu d'Auvergne, Stilton and Gorgonzola but not ok to eat cheddar with mould on it?

Comment

I trim off the blue bits (on cheddar) and eat the rest Doesn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
                  To think that all these years I've just sat down, had a wee, and pulled my knickers back up.
                  I'm obviously doing it wrong cos I'm sure you've missed a step there?
                  Last edited by Moopmoop; 14-02-2013, 10:35 PM.
                  Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I trim off the blue bits (on cheddar) and eat the rest Doesn't everyone?
                    And even that's not wasted. The chooks love cheese mould.
                    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

^^^^^ So do dogs

Comment

My SIL (who is 22) came out with the line the other week that she "didn't think pasta was real food, cos it comes in all those different shapes" ... I think I'd mentioned going to buy some pasta flour (or having a go with the pasta machine etc) and she was gobsmacked that you could make pasta at home, as she thought it was some sort of processed crap....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X