No announcement yet.

Events That Shook The Vine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BM....I think it does us all good to realise the sadness which has, and still does, surround us all.
    Makes us grateful for what we have, and appreciate others more.

Perhaps being reminded of these sad moments helps us to enjoy/appreciate the happy ones even more
    Last edited by Nicos; 23-12-2012, 10:59 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I suppose the one event which affected me directly and makes me realise how lucky I am to be alive is the Stockport Air disaster in 1967.

My parents, brother and I were booked on this flight, but as it was overbooked the first passengers to have booked in were allowed on. We had to wait in Majorca for the next flight.

Needless to say having to hang around the airport make us kids a bit grumpy cos we wanted to play outside in the sunshine.
      Little did we know at the time how lucky we were..

Stockport Plane Crash: 1967 News Report - YouTube
      Well I for one am glad you couldn't get on that flight. I couldn't imagine the vine without the queen of google.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 23-12-2012, 11:08 AM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

BM....I think it does us all good to realise the sadness which has, and still does, surround us all.
        Makes us grateful for what we have, and appreciate others more.

Perhaps being reminded of these sad moments helps us to enjoy/appreciate the happy ones even more
        That was my intention of the thread, not thinking that it may directly involve some grapes.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I know its not on the same international scale, but 5 years ago, between Christmas Day and New Year I went from being active me to almost totally paralysed in hospital. I was convinced I was dying. I could do nothing for myself, totally helpless. It took months before I could walk again and that experience shook me to the core. I am so grateful for every single moment of my life.
          Never take anything for granted as you never know when you will lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            Well I for one am glad you couldn't get on that flight. I couldn't imagine the vine without the queen of google.
            See....you've just made me feel spesh...thankyou xx
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              For me Aberfan as it was so local and I worked with someone who lived in the village, who heard the news at work
              BBC ON THIS DAY | 21 | 1966: Aberfan - a generation wiped out
              I remember that ,my mom was crying
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

See....you've just made me feel spesh...thankyou xx
                You are very welcome & I am sure I am not the only one to echo that sentiment.

Comment

The year my daughter was born, in the few months before her birth, a mother from the preschool my boys attended, dropped her 3 children at different places and then had a head on crash on a motorway, so never came to pick any of them up again. Shocking. Princess Di was involved in an accident and died. And lastly, there was an avalanche of snow that knocked down one of the snow lodges in the mountains here, and they spent about 48 hours digging out the one young man who survived. So we had the local, the national, and the international events that year.

And yes, it does make you glad for what you have, what you can do, and how long you can be around.
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

The death of this man shook my world........am I glad I lived through this era?........you bet your life I am........

Freddie Mercury-Streets of Philadelphia - YouTube

Comment

The 7/7 London Bombings are one for me as my sister lived in London and took some of the effected underground trains to work. She was fine thankfully but a lot of people weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        The twin towers also stands out for me as I was in New York State when it happened, due in New York 2 days later. In the UK you could see the terrible events on TV but we had nothing, just rumours and hearsay. We couldn't ring out to tell anyone that we were OK as they only knew that we would be going to New York, not when. I remember the silence, everywhere was quiet, nobody knowing quite what was happening or being able to believe it was true. We went back to NY the following year to pay our respects.
                        Snap, I was there only a week later, with work and it took ages to get through airport security. Shoes off and laptops opened up and checked out. Horrible horrible heightened state of alert. Although of recent it's all the school tragedies in America that I find shocking. Makes me hug my two just a little bit tighter.
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X