No announcement yet.

Training Courses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about maintaining/pruning fruit bushes - raspberries/currants etc. I'm rubbish at it.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      ..........Allotments for Busy People............
      Good job it's only a 3 hour course otherwise the busy people wouldn't have time to attend - seriously though, (apologies if this already exists) is there any thought that some of these course could be made available over the interweb as unless you live close by it'll take longer to travel than attend which means that a lot of possibly interested people might miss out?

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
      Pruning fruit trees.
      I was going to suggest that too

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Fruit Tree Pruning - Details of forthcoming course from Garden Organic

We already do lots of pruning courses, this next one is in January.
      Sounds good and just what I could do with as I'm more than aware that I'm a bit random with my pruning at times. Shame it's a Thursday though as that's a difficult day for me - I could only find courses for January listed, is it being run again this winter or do I need to mail GO direct?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I know lots of people are trying orchards, but, I was watching an old river cottage and he was on about his nuttery!!!!! Nuttery!! I didn't even know that a group of nut trees were called that!! So, (veggiechicken are you on board??) How about "How to start a nuttery?" I am really pleased with my idea and am grinning, my husband is looking at me like i'm a big loon, but, hey, that's nothing new...
        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Thanks for the thought ancee, I already live in a Nuttery!! Too many blummin squirrels to be able to collect any nuts here so I have to collect them on the Grapevine instead

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Good job it's only a 3 hour course otherwise the busy people wouldn't have time to attend - seriously though, (apologies if this already exists) is there any thought that some of these course could be made available over the interweb as unless you live close by it'll take longer to travel than attend which means that a lot of possibly interested people might miss out?

I was going to suggest that too

Sounds good and just what I could do with as I'm more than aware that I'm a bit random with my pruning at times. Shame it's a Thursday though as that's a difficult day for me - I could only find courses for January listed, is it being run again this winter or do I need to mail GO direct?

You missed one last week. We are just planning all of next year's so they will appear as they are confirmed.

There is a general course on t'internet...Grow your own Veg - Online Course - News story from Garden organic

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              What about maintaining/pruning fruit bushes - raspberries/currants etc. I'm rubbish at it.
              Good idea - noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
                How about quarterly courses on 'What to do on the Allotment in Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn'

This could cover the various seasonal tasks such as planting onions/garlic/fruit bushes in early winter, digging and manuring before sowing in spring, watering,harvesting and keeping on top of weeds in Summer and composting your plants and collecting leaves for leaf mold in Autumn.

We feel this might help the novices who aren't sure what to do when, and also jog the memories of the established allotmenteers.

Andy

We are thinking about having talks for our Allotment of a similar nature.
                Yup, like it. Like it alot.

Comment

What about something aimed at keeping your crops?? various methods of storing, clamps, storages etc, preserving, juicing, wine making etc. What to do with gluts, and you could incorporate something about which wild fruits/berries can be harvested. I know for a long time I wasnt 100% what sloes looked like....I do now
                  Last edited by Hans Mum; 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM.
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Preservation and Foraging...yup.

Excellent.

Thanks all. Lots of ideas to think about.

Comment

could split the foraging one into hedgerows, woodland and mushrooms. I'd love to do a mushroom course as I don't trust myself to get the ident right from books!

Comment

Where do you live Linnea? Add it to your profile!! We had a thread going on here a few weeks back about Fungi foraging events and if we know where you are we can alert you!

Comment

added! thought it was there but obviously not! grateful for any updates on local courses

Comment

Chemical free pest control?
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Yay - first one being advertised...places are booking up already

Allotments for Busy People - Details of forthcoming course from Garden Organic

Comment

Don't forget the compost teas! I love the idea of using what you have to make what you are growing, grow better. Not taking things out of the ground, but putting them back as you do. My son keeps telling me I can't take all the 1000's of lettuce we'll end up with to work for 'all them folks' but I have to put them back into the garden if we is not eating them! I struggle with the concept! But Jackie French talks about the 'supermarket' mentality, where if you have too much of something and it goes off/bad, you feel like you've lost out on value. If it is going back into the compost, onto the garden chopped up, or into a compost tea, or as mulch, you lose nothing, you just change the way you're using it. Can be a stretch for people, but when they realise they don't have to buy into the fertiliser etc it's good.
                                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X